CapDVHS DOES work for PC capture of FX1 RIGHT NOW...? Who can confirm? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

High Definition Video Editing Solutions
For all HD formats including HDV, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD and others.

Old November 4th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #1
Major Player

CapDVHS DOES work for PC capture of FX1 RIGHT NOW...? Who can confirm?

first, Chris, I know you like us to provide links, but in this case, I think it's urgent to post the info directly as it more quickly brings everyone up to speed on the development - this user reports on capturing FX1 footage in Japan using CapDVHS - seems there's been some confusion amongst our members re: ability to use this app to capture to PC when originally investigated - Kaku, know you're busy - can you try again? Anybody else with FX1 and PC?

Posting links sometimes doesn't work because posts get moved around, etc.

"The files were capped with CapDVHS, a utility I am very familiar with (having a JVC DVHS). I capped them into mpg files instead of ts files (tab "Settings", check "Output PS"). VirtualDubMod will not take ts files at all. CapDVHS keeps the 16:9 flag even as mpg files (very important). Google for it.

For the WMV's, I loaded up the clips in Vegas 5. Once I cut the clip down, I rendered WMV-9, 64kb audio, 2-pass CBR 8mb rate, 1280x720 16:9 output. Nothing fancy. Very slow.

For the DIVX's, I loaded the clip in VirtualDubMod. Full Processing, resize to 1280x720. Output audio to WAV (process to mp3 later with CDex), and decheck audio stream. Compression: DIVX 5.2.1, 2-pass, HD profile, all options off. 20% faster than WMV above.

Deinterlacing is not interesting to me because I own one of the old 38" tube RCA HDTV's (F38310), a 1280x1080 display. All my output will be viewed there (not really on any of my PC's). But I am paying attention to the deinterlacing discussion going on here."

So you can apparently use this CapDVHS to get FX1 footage into a PC... Okay, I wish we could get to the bottom of this... Is the user suggesting she first cap'd to DVHS from FX1 and then into computer? CapDVHS is supposed to support capture via Firewire/i-Link... so it seems to be supporting direct capture from FX1 via i-link...?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: CapDVHS DOES work for PC capture of FX1 RIGHT NOW...? Who can confirm?

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat :
So you can apparently use this CapDVHS to get FX1 footage into a PC... Okay, I wish we could get to the bottom of this... Is the user suggesting she first cap'd to DVHS from FX1 and then into computer? CapDVHS is supposed to support capture via Firewire/i-Link... so it seems to be supporting direct capture from FX1 via i-link...? -->>>

I'm no expert on the processes involved, but from what I do know, as long as the camera is seen by the PC as a Video Device - the camera's firmware would have to respond to a request from the system for this - programs such as CapDVHS and VLC should be able to capture from the FX1.

I did try CapDVHS with my HD10 without success, while VLC had no problems finding the cam via firewire... It would have been nice of Sony to provide a capture utility with the cam. If they're working on integrating such capability into Vegas in the very near future, it surely wouldn't have been a big deal to have provided it with the cam. Perhaps part of the marketing philosophy will be to leverage greater Vegas uptake via the ease of using the FX1 solely through Vegas......
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM   #3
New Boot

I can confirm that capDVHS will work with the FX1. Easy capture, no problems at all. By the way I have also found that my FX1 (european 50i version) will playback tapes shot on my US version HD10U, Cool!
www.ingenioustv.co.uk
Al Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #4
Major Player

After you transfered the footage from the FX1 with capDVHS what was your next step? I am having trouble getting the audio extracted from the M2Ts posted on these boards, but with any TS file, I have had success with TSDemux to split the file.

Al, do you think you can try TSDemux with the TS file you captured from the FX1 and see if it demuxes and audio also?

http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jackei/p...Demux_0.18.zip
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #5
New Boot

I imported the clips into Premiere. I have the Mainconcept Mpeg Pro HD plugin (designed for the HD10) and was using that to view/transcode the footage. It works but it's very clunky compared to working with HD10 720p footage.
www.ingenioustv.co.uk
Al Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Hmm, I was not aware of that plug in. I will have to look into that.

Do you think you can do a small test with TSDemux though? Since I am sure that plug in is not cheap and trying it would not be feasible for me as of yet. If not, it's alright. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, only 350. Not bad.
Kyle Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

<<<-- It works but it's very clunky compared to working with HD10 720p footage. -->>>

That doesn't surprise me at all since 1080i is basically almost twice
the amount of information as in 720p, that's quite a huge datarate
for any PC to handle.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #8
Major Player

Why don't you guys have a look at Womble mpeg-vcr.....It demultiplexes Kaku's clips just fine.

I've been using Womble for quite a while now, and it handles 1080 reasonably well.

Plus it has some other groovy features....like select all files when loading a clip and you'll be able to load native m2t....
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Trustee

I use CapDVHS to capture from Sony FX1 into mpg's live onto my laptop's HDD. Works fine.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #10
Tourist

Mac DVHScap

Using DVHScap on Mac I'm able to both capture and print to FX1. Been trying the Womble editor. Cute, but it took down XP after exporting for 20 minutes. I got an email from Lumiere stating that FX1 support was up to several weeks away, maybe sooner.

Tim
Tim Sassoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 03:07 PM   #11
Major Player

I can also confirm success with CapDVHS on a North American HDR-FX1 via firewire. No problems.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #12
Tourist

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Hoping you guys can help me. I e-mailed my concerns to the JVC rep weeks ago, and haven't received any reply. Here's a copy of the letter:

Hi!

My name is David, I'm a gorilla filmmaker. I'm quite interested in the HDV system, but I have a few questions regarding the D-VHS compatibility.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

- I can't afford to buy one of the new HDV Cameras (or decks) just yet. I'm still making payments on my Sony VX2000, which has served me rather well over the years. My intention is to RENT a JVC HD10U (or Sony's version), shoot in the HDV format, and record all my camera originals onto D-VHS tape via the firewire interface. I intend to PURCHASE a D-VHS deck for this purpose.

- Once I return the camera to the rental shop, I'd like to take my D-VHS edit masters and capture via firewire (iEEE 1394) into my Mac and edit them using Final Cut Pro 4-HD. I'd like to be able to preview the edited footage on the timeline back through the D-VHS deck and onto my preview monitor.

- Once my edit is finished, I'd like to complete the project as a DVD, Quicktime file, or export the timeline as a D-VHS Master. Once I test HDV, I'll have a better idea if it's time to trade that old VX2000 in.

So here's my questions:

1. Does the iEEE 1394 interface on the D-VHS decks communicate IN and OUT with devices like HDV camcorders and Macintosh Computers? The reason I'm asking is because some of the literature I've found on the D-VHS machine specs, make confusing statements like; "camcorder IN only" or "DV input". I need to be able to use the D-VHS machine as a capture device. Do all the
models support this function? Or do only certain models? Does any model?

2. While editing the footage, will the D-VHS machine allow me to cycle the timeline footage back through the D-VHS machine and output images to an external monitor (like an HDTV)? I need to see what my project looks like on a normal television, not just a small window in my editing application.

3. If capturing/editing HDV using a D-VHS deck is not possible, can you confirm the rumors that new low-end consumer DV camcorders will be built to playback the HDV MPEG 2 TS codec? Any release date projections?

I know my questions must sound like an awful, convoluted mess. I've tried my best to explain my needs as best as possible. If there is anyway I can make my needs/questions clearer to you, please let me know. If you have any alternative solutions, I'd be happy to hear it.

END OF LETTER

So I thought I'd try the forums. Anyone done this before?
David Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #13
Tourist

Originally posted by David Bates :

<<I'm a gorilla filmmaker. >>

Mountain or lowland? :-)

<<- I can't afford to buy one of the new HDV Cameras (or decks) just yet. I'm still making payments on my Sony VX2000>>

Sell it soon, while you still can. Aim for a purchase in February, either a new pro HDV, or a slightly used prosumer model from the many who will be trading up then, myself included.

<<shoot in the HDV format, and record all my camera originals onto D-VHS tape via the firewire interface. I intend to PURCHASE a D-VHS deck for this purpose.>>

Don't do it, it won't work, AFAIK. DVHS is built for 19.3 Mb/s, HDV is 25 Mb/s. You can use the same _protocol_ to communicate with the HDV camera, which is not the same thing as file compatiblity.

Assume, instead, that you'll be capturing HDV to disk as .m2t files, and that thereafter it becomes a data storage and translation problem. I suspect it'll be cheaper, too, with hard drive space going for under $1/GB. 20 minutes of HDV will fit on a DVD-R, and play off it, too, with a current mechanism.

The only other way that makes sense to me is going YPbPr to HD-SDI, and following that path, which seems like it's way beyond what you want to do.

Tim
Tim Sassoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:24 PM   #14
Tourist

Wow, my first post on a new board and I've already made an ass of myself. I meant, "guerilla filmmaker". No wonder the JVC rep never got back to me. He probably thought I was going to throw my own feces at him.

Thanks for the advice, Tim. I'm not quite ready to sell off my VX2000 just yet. I'm likely going to rent the Z1-U when it comes out, and just keep the camera around for a couple more days for capturing. My intention is to output the edited version as HD WMV or QT and present it by LCD projector to an audience.

Here's another question. I intend to shoot in FULL SCOPE. What other filmmakers call "double 16:9". By adding a 16:9 anamorphic lens to an existing 16:9 chip. Gaining roughly a 2:35:1 aspect ratio (I'm bad with the math, is it more like 2:40:1?)

Unsqueezing video is never a problem with FCP, what I'm concerned with is presentation. In theory, what I'd like to do is find a 16:9 native projector and screw a 16:9 lens to the front. Then I could project the full image in full scope without sacrificing resolution. I don't really want to buy two 16:9 anamorphic lenses (they're expensive, and no rental shop in my city stocks them), can anyone recommend a decent LCD projector with the same thread size as the Z1-U or Panasonic DVX100? I think it's a 72mm thread. Is there anything else I should be concerned with in this type of presentation?
David Bates is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > High Definition Video Editing Solutions