Combining GL2 + Sony PD150 Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 29th, 2002, 06:25 PM   #1
Trustee

Combining GL2 + Sony PD150 Footage

Hi again,
I'm still planning out filming our stage production, and have come across the ability to rent one or two Sony PD150's for the night. I also have my own GL2. Rather than rent three PD150's, I was wondering if it would be possible to use the GL2 in the back to get the wide stage and the PD150's for the up-close shots from either side, and how footage from the two may or may not look good together. Any thoughts on this?

Same with the XL1s - I might be able to get a hold of one of them for the evening.

Thanks,

Peter
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 10:54 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Peter,
Mixing GL2 and PD150 footage shouldn't take much effort. The GL2 shoots a very neutral frame, less warm than the XL1s. Since you'll probably be using theatrical lighting it would be very helpful if you have a chance to experiment and calibrate with the cams and the lighting before the event. Failing that, you should still plan on taking some prep time with both cams to normalize their white balance settings. The GL2's color may have to be cooled-down just a bit (more blue) to match the PD150's cooler image. You might also have to turn the GL2's sharpness up one click, although use your judgement on that one. The GL2 and PD150 are closer in sharpness than the XL1s and PD150.

Just my thoughts and opinion. Let us know how the shoot goes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders