uv or skylight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 25th, 2002, 08:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

uv or skylight

what would you recommend: a uv filter or a skylight for pure protection on the gl2 lens?
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2002, 09:11 PM   #2
Warden

It really makes no difference for video. If you put it on your lens and leave it on for protection, you'll be (or the camera will be) white balancing through the filter. This will compensate for the slight magenta cast of the skylight filter. Skylight filters are designed to filter out excess UV (blue cast) on film. This is accomplished by tinting the skylight filter slightly magenta. The magenta is neutralized by your cameras auto white balancing (AWB).

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2002, 09:24 PM   #3
Outer Circle

A UV might cost less. I'd just get a UV to protect the lens, and a polarizer to cut glare on sunny days. A softening filter is also nice to have.

A Cokin UV is like 10 to 15 bucks. That's my favourite UV. My expensive Heliopan UV suffers from glare. $65 Canadian Bucks down the tube.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 05:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

Be aware that in part to the great depth of field potentiql of the GLx series, you may encounter shooting situations where you can actually see the dust on the filter in the image. So keep any filter clean.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2002, 05:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

can i use a uv- and pol-filter at the same time? or do i need a mattebox for this? what about a wideangle-converter or the lens-hood (what i want to ask is can you screw other things on a filter)?
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:37 AM   #6
Warden

It depends on the filter. Most are made with threads at both ends. This allows for attaching filters, hoods and other accessories. However, many of the filters marketed as suitable for wide angle lenses employ a thinner mounting ring. The thinner ring prevents (in most cases) the filter from protruding into the scene. This protruding, by normal filters, produces a condition know as vignetting. Vignetting is seen as a moderate to severe darkening of the corners of your image. The thinner mounting ring, in many cases, does not have a threaded outer portion. The lack of threads prevent the attaching of additional accessories, including other filters.

Jeff
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:51 AM   #7
Outer Circle

The slim line B+W / Heliopan does have the outer threads.

* The Cokin UV has less reflective coating(s) than the Heliopan. This is probably why I get the refections with the Heliopan, but not with the Cokin.
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:57 AM   #8
Outer Circle

Polarizers are usually also UV. (At least some polarizers are.)

I'd try to avoid using more than 1 filter at a time. With more glass the image is going to be less clear.

Then there is the matter of linear verses circular polarizers.

Some ND filters are also polarizers, yet others are are both polarizers and softeners.

It's a big filter world out there. I'd just stick with a UV and a polarizer to start.
Old December 26th, 2002, 04:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks jeff & frank, you've helped me a lot - as always. good for my knowledge; am just getting into these things...
Old December 26th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #10
Wrangler

Frank:

I am truly surprised to hear that a top-end company like B&W is producing a filter that causes more flare issues than a cheaper filter. Especially, as you say, one that has more coatings designed to reduce this...! For instance, in a really difficult situation like shooting scenes by candlelight, does the Cokin produce less secondary images of the candles than the Heliopan?

Also I am curious about your description of combination filters that combine Polarizers with ND or image softening effects. The only variations I have seen in Polas are linear vs circular and an 812 warming filter+pola sandwich. Which manufacturer is making these other combos you describe?
Old December 28th, 2002, 08:06 PM   #11
Outer Circle

The UV which causes flaring on my MX300 is the Heliopan. I kid you not. So I bought a Cokin UV, and found it caused no flaring. So..., I think it's always a good idea to try an expensive filter in the shop first before learning the hard way. Expensive doesn't mean better, in this case. Or, maybe I got a defective Heliopan UV?

About combos, I'll look through my filter catalogs to tell you which one.
Old December 28th, 2002, 09:53 PM   #12
Warden

I've used Heliopans off and on for 15 years and never had a problem with flair. I would suggest that you have a defective filter. Of course getting the Germans to admit it will be another thing. I wonder if the glass element is not held by the mounting ring properly. I would send it to Heliopan with a video sample of the flair and see what they say.

Jeff
Old December 29th, 2002, 06:48 AM   #13
Wrangler

> My expensive Heliopan UV suffers from glare.

Where did you buy the bad heliopan? At $65 vs. $12, some one could have swapped the glass and returned it for a refund and net gain of $51.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2002, 06:34 PM   #14
Outer Circle

I bought it at Leo's, in Vancouver. I'm sure the glass was not switched. Also, the filter is screwed in correctly. Perhaps the coatings cause the light to flare.

At first I wanted to buy a Leica UV, but the Leica threads are different and only fit Leica cams or certain Leica cams. Go figure. I'm happy with my Cokin. It's even made will real glass.
Old December 29th, 2002, 07:01 PM   #15
Warden

I'm sure you have the filter screwed in correctly. What I was suggesting is, the glass element is not parallel to the lenses because the element is not seated in the mounting ring properly. It could have been caused by the spanner ring not being tight enough or even too tight. It's possible the element wasn't coated properly, but I think that is highly unlikely.

The coatings to the glass element (both surfaces) are anti reflective coatings and are designed to reduce flair.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders