Wireless Shotgun Configuration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 11th, 2003, 01:43 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Wireless Shotgun Configuration?

Has anyone used their ME66/K6 with a wireless system? Are there any technical barriers to doing so? The practical barrier I see, at least with my Samson UHF wireless system, is the size of the XLR connectors. The standard lav uses a small-size XLR. I would imagine I could find an adapter?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 06:47 AM   #2
Warden

I've done it many time without any difficulty. If the transmitter has a headphone jack the boom operator can monitor the sound that way. My transmitter also has a specialized connector, TA5F (AKA Mini XLR). Switchcraft makes the connectors, so I made a specialized cable (mini XLR to XLR) for boom operation.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:03 AM   #3
Wrangler

Would the Samson AX1 handheld transmitter work with the ME66/K6 combination (The spec says for dynamic mics, but does that really just mean self-powered mics?)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:06 PM   #4

Jeff or Don,
Do you have an online source where I can get a couple of XLR-to-mini XLR adapters? I've scoured Markertek, my normal source for such stuff, but to no avail.

Thanks very much.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old January 11th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Warden

This is where I got mine http://locationsound.com/salescatalog.html Download #4 connectors PDF and you'll find a reference to them. I forget what they cost, maybe $10 each. Mine are made my Switchcraft.

Jeff
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:28 PM   #6

Thanks very much, Jeff.

The irony: Switchcraft's plant is located right here in Chicago, perhaps 5 miles north of where I am.

Old January 11th, 2003, 08:33 PM   #7
Warden

Maybe you can take a field trip and pickup a couple of adapters in their gift shop before you leave.

Jeff
Old January 12th, 2003, 04:40 PM   #8

One Darn Thing Leads to Another

Discovering that my Samson system's transmitter really does not have a headphone jack (which I thought it did), and unable to locate a wireless system that does feature a headphone on the transmitter, I realized that this idea was a bit hobbled. After all, how effective could a boom operator be if s/he can't monitor the sound?

So how could I best break the wired link between the camera and a boom?

Bottom line: I ended up buying an HHb MD500 MiniDisc recorder, largely on the strength of posts by Peter Wiley as well as a review published on the L.A. Final Cut Pro Users Group site. Of couse I also had to grab a PortaBrace case for it and a clap-slate (for synch). Harumph.

Old January 12th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #9
Warden

Here's what I do. I use the Sound Devices http://www.sounddevices.com/index.html MM-1, microphone preamp and headphone monitor. The output of the MM-1(line level) feeds the input to the Lectrosonics http://www.lectrosonics.com/ UM 100 belt pack transmitter (accommodates line level). The receiver attaches to the camera or goes to a remote truck etc. You can still feed DAT/MD from receiver or from MM-1. I've using this for almost a year now and the boom operator enjoys the luxury of no cords.

Jeff
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #10

Ah, you sneaky guy. You had another gizmo! Looks like a great solution that ultimately affords the boom operator more capabilties than simply monitoring the mic without cables.

Thanks, again, Jeff.

Old January 12th, 2003, 10:36 PM   #11
Warden

Well, I was sorta forced into it. All my shotguns are phantom power. I stumbled onto the MM-1 while looking for a phantom power supply. Then the light bulb went off over my head and I realized I could use it to go wireless. The rest is history.

Jeff
Old January 13th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #12

The MM-1 looked irresistibly handy, albeit a tad $ Had to get one of those, too. Thanks, again, for the tip.

Old January 13th, 2003, 03:07 PM   #13
Warden

That's what I thought at first, too. But, the quality of construction is the best I've seen and the audio quality is, well, transparent. It's almost impossible to overload, it handles whatever you throw at it.

Jeff
Old January 19th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #14

Jeff,
Just wanted to follow-up to let you know that the Sound Devices MM-1 mic preamp with headphone monitor is perfect. Exactly what I needed. Finally I can rig a boom for wirelesss operation while providing the operator with a headphone monitor.

Those folks at Sound Devices are definitely serious folks. As you noted, this thing is built to take much heavier duty than I'll be subjecting it to. It's also very sonically transparent and can nicely mitigate the mic's signal if needed.

Thanks so much for the tip!

Old January 22nd, 2003, 02:55 PM   #15
Major Player

Awesome link, Ken.

Just to make sure I understand it correctly, I would have to get the boom mic connected to the Sound Devices MM-1 mic preamp with headphone monitor, and then connect that to a wireless system, correct?

I have a couple of questions about this wireless boom rig: Is it easy to monitor the levels with this system (for someone who has very little audio experience)? Is the audio quality of a wireless system less than that of a wired system? If it's on par, it certainly would make life much easier in post.

Thanks again for your help!
Jaime
Jaime Valles is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio