Audio-Technica AT8686 -- is this too good to be true? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 24th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Is this too good to be true?

B&H lists a limiter made by Audio-Technica model number AT8686. Does this thing work? It's only $49.95! B&H lists it as a special order and audio technica puts it in their archive -- http://www.audio-technica.com/guide/other/access/unitools_disc.html (scroll to bottom of page) -- so who knows if it's even still available. But I really need something like this because I have a serious clipping problem with my GL-1 and don't have the cash for the SoundDevices MM-1 at the moment. Has anyone used this thing? The Audio-Technica limiter I mean, and where did you buy it?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 05:04 AM   #2
Wrangler

What is the rest of your GL1 system (mic, etc)?
Are you using the MIC ATT setting?
If the audio is too loud, there are some moderate cost passive level controls that can be used to reduce input levels.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 07:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I’m using an ME-66 in a pistol grip shockmount with a Studio 1 Pro XLR adapter. Yes, the attenuator is on. I’ve tried dialing down the Studio 1, and it does seem to help, but the audio isn’t as crisp and there is still some clipping whenever someone starts shouting. The GL-1 features an internal auto gain system that doesn’t seem to be able to handle a very wide range in volume. I think a limiter would solve my problems. I’m taping poetry readings and some of them like to do a lot of yelling and stamping their feet and that kind of thing.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #4
Warden

I don't believe it is available any longer, but email AT just to be sure.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio