Sennheiser 280 Headphones at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 26th, 2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser 280 Headphones

Anyone using these to monitor the sound of their video projects?

I've seen the recommendations for the Sony MDR-7506, but the Sennheiser's are a bit cheaper ($70 at Amazon w/ shipping after a $10 off coupon) and get good reviews.

Also all my previous Sony gear has always broken or had issues. Not to say I'd have problems with their headphones, they've just lost me as a customer because of it.

Thanks for the info.
Brian Huey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #2
Warden

I'm not a big Sony fan either, and Own very few pieces of their gear. However, the headphones are an exception. The Sony's are just that good. The Sennheisers are a good choice if you're on a budget, but the Sony's are just much better.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #3

I primarily use the Sony MDR-7506 headphones, been using these for many years. The reason so many sound mixers use them is because of their low-impedance (about 63ohms) and because they have a pronounced curve in the lows and highs. Not entirely accurate phones like some higher priced AKG or BEYER sets, but they excel at field recording with low output battery-operated headphone amp circuits because they are nice and loud, again due to their lower impedance. So, before you buy those Sennheisers, check to see what the impandance is - amything higher than 100ohms just simply won't be as loud as the Sony MDR cans. That matters if you will be in noisy environments. Higher impedance headphones will sap too much current from the headphone amp and you may possibly hear distortion if the headphone amp is being overdriven. The Sony headphones are clearly worth their price as they perform quite well with portable battery powered rigs.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips, I'm still leaning towards the Sennheisers as they have a nominal impendance of 64 ohms and all the reviews seem real favorable.
Brian Huey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio