Adding an External LCD Monitor to the XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old February 28th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Adding an External LCD Monitor to the XL1S

Hello all,

I'm now in the market for an XL1s. (upgrading from a GL1 after two years... it's the whole "starting to do real work for big clients and image is important thing").

Naturally, I like the flip out LCD screen on the GL1, and was wondering if anyone has any experience using an external LCD mounted to the shoe on the XL1.

I'm looking at one at BHPhotovideo for $139, made by Citizen. It looks decent.

Thoughts, Comments?

Thanks.
Kyle
www.lookmom.net
Kyle Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2003, 11:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

Yep, I've got one. Put it on the shoe with a ball mount so I can swivel it to see it from different angels. Very happy with it. Excellent addition.
Old March 1st, 2003, 12:34 AM   #3

Monitor

I buoght a 7 1/2" TFT from Radio Shack ($179). It's one designed to be used to play DVDs and keep the little curtain climbers from eating the upholstery in the back seat. I also used an old flash shoe to affix it to the XL1-s. Works like a charm, and certainly gives a better idea of what you're shooting that the EVF does. when I do news stories and have a pretty face doing a stand-up live report, I just flip it around and they're happy campers. Indoors it easy to use with a 12-volt step-down; but outside away from a power souce it eats batteries.
Old March 8th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #4
New Boot

theres a 3.8 LCD citizen monitor on Bh for 185.00, I think if its a lil bigger its better to appreciate the images.
Rolando Jose Rodriguez De Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Rolando, do you have one of them? If so I'd love to hear what you think of it.

I needed an LCD monitor for a stabilzer I just built so I picked up the Citizen M938 off eBay for about what I would have paid for that smaller one.

it's 3.8 inches with 105,120 (146 x 720) pixels so I think it should be pretty good.

I guess I'll have to play with it a bit to mask it off for 16:9.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Kyle, you said it "Image is important" and in this case its important in two ways, the image you want to see, and the imaging of yourself and your equipment. If your going with an XL1s I recomend you a better monitor, Check out the Nebtek 5.5"

Good luck,

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I am using the NEBTEK 5.5" too, and I agree with Alexis, Nebtek gives you great quality for the money. Just a little advice: If you are using the MM-XL1 Universal Mini-Mount from Light Wave Systems, be sure to buy a ball mount that doesnīt make the monitor interfere with it. I bought the "standard" ball mount from Light Wave Systems and itīs too short, so I have to turn my MM-XL1 every time to make room for the monitor.

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
If you are using the MM-XL1 Universal Mini-Mount from Light Wave Systems, be sure to buy a ball mount that doesnīt make the monitor interfere with it. I bought the "standard" ball mount from Light Wave Systems and itīs too short, so I have to turn my MM-XL1 every time to make room for the monitor.
That was kinda what I was alluding to here.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I wonder if another kind of shoemount exist, let's say like an adapter where you can install two accesories, an on cam light and the monitor for example...

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #10
Major Player

Yes. I think Nebtek do one. About $165 as far as I recall.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #11
Major Player

I got my Citizen M938 the other day and if you are looking for an inexpensive monitor to mount on a stabilizer or to the top of a camera it looks pretty good.

Not good enough to be a field monitor but if you are dolly'ing or doing a stedicam shot and need it, it was worth the $120.00 I paid for it.

Comes with mount to go on most cameras.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Im torn between these 2 lcd's:
http://www.starvision.us/SVT-718MT.shtml
this is a 7" 16x9 monitor.
$280

or this one:
http://www.nebtek.com/5inch/NEB50Xlpage.html
$560

They both look pretty good.
Is anyone familiar with either of these models? The price difference is pretty substantial. Is the quality? I spoke with the starvision guy, he says it is very commonly used with the xl1, and he has all the adapters to mount it, plus a battery converter to use canon batteries.

Stephen
Stephen Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:15 PM   #13
Major Player

The first of those looks suspiciously like this, a rebadged Lilliput 700. I have no idea what the brightness of this LCD is, but I can't imagine that it's high. Nebtek claim 350NIT for theirs, but then they also claim 400NIT for the Panasonic 7" when even Panasonic only state it as >300!
Old June 6th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #14
Regular Crew

here is some info:

Model:
Starvision TM-SVT718M (silver finish)
_ Dispay:
_ Brightness:
350 NIT Cold Cathode Filament Tube
_ DPI:
_ Viewing Angle:
60š L & R - 45š/30š Up/Down

Stephen
Stephen Birdsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2003, 02:21 PM   #15
NEBTEK

Thanks for drawing this to our attention,
NEBTEK's NEB70XL 400 NIT spec was listed according to the original Panasonic TC7-WMS1 specifications. Apparently sometime this year, Panasonic has changed their spec to a >300 NIT listing.
We will effectively change this spec in our literature and on our website. I have a call in to Panasonic asking why the sudden change.
In the meantime, NEBTEK's new NEB50XL (as of 10/02) is 350 NIT. That is the specification we set with our manufacturer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software