Next Episode Jody Eldred at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old July 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #1
2nd Unit TV

Next Episode Jody Eldred

We are so pleased at the responses we are getting on the website from almost 4,000 viewers from as far away as Japan and alot from the UK. More than 4,000 downloads of the episodes thusfar from 2nd-Unit.tv. That's alot!

This week we come to you from the California Yacht Club (www.calyachtclub.com) as Jody Eldred does the first of a 2-part series that you really shouldn't miss on lighting as only Jody can do it. JAG, NCIS, Barbara Walters, they're all there as Jody recalls some of the best times shooting memorable series and illustrating his techniques, all in the beautiful setting of Marina del Rey. Thanks to Eric, the GM at the club for rolling the red carpet out to us and putting up with a complete location shoot on a Saturday, one of the busiest days of the week for them.

The episode goes live at 8:00pm thanks again to Paolo who is holding everyting down while I'm pulling the business end together. If you get a chance, please drop a line to Paolo and thank him for his outstanding work.

So that's it 8:00 tonight www.2nd-Unit.tv. We hope you enjoy it from the Cal Yacht Club.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Jonathan:

Another great episode! In fact, they're getting better each time. Jody passed on some great tips and techniques that helped me figure out some problem lighting situations.

By the way, my Z1U is smiling right now! If you ever need some footage of something out in the midwest, let me know and my Z1U and I will go to work.

Paolo:

Keep up the good work. I, and I'm sure others, appreciate your dedication and hard work!
Old July 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Paolo:

Keep up the good work. I, and I'm sure others, appreciate your dedication and hard work!
Thank you Jeff.
I'm working on solvibg some technical issues on the export of the videos. Episode 5 will have much better video quality and I'll re-export all the episodes with th enew settings.
Glad you liked this week's video.
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #4
Wrangler

Just watched the Jody Eldred episode. It's good to have a voice with this much clout singing the praises of camera like the Z1 and my beloved F350.

I became an NCIS fan this year and watched it regularly. Sad to say, I got pulled in during a channel surf when I saw Pablo de Cote on screen and said to myself, "Who is this lovely young lady?"

But now me and my other half watch it for all the show's elements, especially the tension between the characters. Good writing and acting.

Please pass along my thanks to Jody for a very informative discussion if and when you get the opportunity.

-gb-
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #5
2nd Unit TV

It's definitely a "when". Jody has become a good friend of ours and, more importantly, of the show; a better person you'll never meet...except for George that is ;-) Also, we're looking at a relationship with Sony because their cameras, and their people, are that good.

Glad you enjoyed the show. Part 2 is in editing right now so we're ahead of the game and not always playing catch-up.
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #6
2nd Unit TV

Thanks, Jeff. We just completed a show on make-up and if the information isn't important enough, the two girls, the model and the artist, are more than enough to tune in for. Makeup is an important part of producton that's often overlooked and I wanted to address the artistry that goes into making actors look, well, normal. Next up is David Tatersol and his team from Con Air and Star Wars. We're shoting that show this coming Wednesday at 2. We're looking for assistants so anyone interested in working the shoot, please PM me and we'll work you in. I mean, hiow often do you get to work with a legend so let me know who wants to shoot this and I'll make arrangements. Again, it's set for Wednesday at 2 in Hollywood.
Old July 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Loved the Jody Eldred show!!! Paolo, great job on the editing! That scrim suggestion was priceless. Also, good comments about the 350 and the Z1.

Looks like you guys are now using a windows media streaming server :-) Good choice - we support that here at work for corporate streaming. The geek in me noticed that first!
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #8
Trustee

I'm going to have to wait for the quicktime version...WMV on the mac is lacking...I have it...it just sux.
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David
Loved the Jody Eldred show!!! Paolo, great job on the editing!
Thank you George, much appreciated. About the streaming server, we are working on supporting both Windows and QuickTime, it's just that we had some technical issues in exporting the footage and we run out of time. I'm actually a Mac person so I rather have Quicktime H.264 than Wmv. Starting with next episode we will be able to simultaneously release both formats. As soon as I can I'll go back and re-compress Episode 1,3 and 4. I have both issues on the format (only wmv) and the quality of the image but time constraints where tight and we wanted to release as promised.

Thanks again!
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
I'm going to have to wait for the quicktime version...WMV on the mac is lacking...I have it...it just sux.
I feel your pain, see my comment above. We will get to it asap :)
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole McDonald
I have it also, but it didn't prevent me from watching the episode. I was looking for the informational value more than aesthetic value (with all due respect to Paolo). There's no need to 'wait' for the Quicktime version.

-gb-
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #12
Trustee

Not having issues with the blacks or compression artifacts or anything...The stream (on my network) gets an initial keyframe and I get to stare at just the interviewer while listening to the audio. If I pause, I can get a different keyframe when I start back up. If you would use an HTTP link rather than an MMS link, I could download it and the latency wouldn't be an issue (which is what I'm assuming the issue is).
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #13
Major Player

I'll second Cole's comments. A direct HTTP link would be my preference.

Right this second I can't even access the MMS stream. Windows Media Player just reports "cannot perform the requested action at this time". I'm presuming your server is down as es-win.com is loosing packets when pinged.
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #14
2nd Unit TV

OK, now I'm worried. I'm accessing the stream on three different computers from my home right now; the family room, the office and my laptop. Actually 4, my daughter's is streaming it as well, all simultaneously so we're having trouble recreating the problem but that doesn't help you all. We'll dig into it tomorrow unless Paolo's on it right now. I hesitate to call him now at 10:30 Sunday evening but then again Jody's segment is so good and so important............
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:44 PM   #15
Major Player

I tried again just now, it still doesn't work - same error. Is anyone in Australia having similar problems?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television