Next Episode Jody Eldred - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

2nd Unit Television
Companion discussion forum for the 2nd Unit TV web site.

Old July 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #61
2nd Unit TV

Well, I got a great e-mail from Jeff and he was truly concerned that he had done or said somnething offensive. I've been, as I said to Jeff in my response, buried in the business end of 2nd Unit so I haven't been keeping up on the board. Paolo's been doing a great job of that.

As to the postings, 2nd Unit is nothing if it is not all about coomunity feedback. Heck, why do you think the site is being changed to reflect the recommendations of the readers and Paolo's doing all the editing right now. The answer is simply because I suck at this stuff. The site has moved positively leaps and bounds over the 4 weeks it's been up. We're close to 5,000 downloads/viewings of the weekly webcast from all over the place as evidenced by the Go Daddy hosting reports and had it not been for the recommendations of readers and viewers like Jeff, I'd still be where I don't belong...editing. So Tip had a stressful day. We'v all had them. No one's attacking character and if I ever think it ever gets to that point, I'll shut things down. For now, it's as I've said a hundred times or more , "Family". If all of the readers/viewers/commentators and crew and cast don't feel like family here on this virtual set, each one doing his or her part to better the information that reaches the independent filmmaker through 2nd Unit, then I as the producer have failed miserably. And that's not somewhere I should be failing having been doing this for 20+ years. I can fail at editing or technical things like that but I better know producing and I better know cinematography. So wail awat at each other...respectfully and with courtesy...because that's what family does. I'll let you know if I think you've crossed the line but for right now, each and every one of you have a valid point. There's alot of pride in authorship in this business. If there wasn't, it's workproduct wouldn't be worth a damn. So it's the family squabbles that keeps us on top of our game and I for one think its a good thing. Keep the feedback coming Jeff and everyone else out there because without it, we're nothing. And Tip...GREAT JOB on sound. I was there, remember. I know George and Jaime and Jody and, and and, and, and that stuff we can fix in post! But if it wasn't good to begin with, if all we had to work with was silence or clipping, we couldn't fix anything. So keep up the good work. And BTW, I've worked for all those guys you just pitched to. In fact, I've been with them when we're being pitched to. Don't let it worry you. They're all porfessionall a&^$*(&%^. We're the Fun Bunch and we love what you do.
Old July 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #62
Wrangler

Don't worry, Jonathan. The other moderators, myself, and Chris will put an end to anything that flares up too far.

As you're well aware, we run a tight ship and expect people here to treat each other with decency and civility, no matter what the experience level or personal viewpoint.

I initially posted that the indoor to outdoor audio transistion nearly knocked me out of my chair. That was a slight exaggeration. All I meant was that it was fairly noticable. I have no idea where in the audio chain the difference occurred and I really don't care. Like I said to Jeff, I didn't even want to mention it at first cause the wealth of information in that episode is top tier.

Tip, please don't feel personally attacked here. We're not about that on this board. We all want to help each other be our best through constructive feedback. That's what makes DVINFO so unique. It's not the internet free for all that you get on other forums.

As a side note to you Jonathan, I noticed you said that Isabelle would be taking over the interviewing duties. I guess I can live with that if I have to. (grin)

regards,

-gb-
Old July 24th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #63
Major Player

Apologies to Jeff

Jeff,

I can tell by your reasoned responses and comments that you are a gentleman. I also appreciate that all this matters enough to you to merit the responses you've posted. I appreciate your apology, but I think that I owe you one as well for my language and reaction. So here it is, Jeff, I went over the top, and I owe you a beer the next time you're in Los Angeles!

Since I've owed Paolo a pitcher for some time now, I can't say that my "owe you a beer" credit rating is triple AAA, but I suppose it's the thought that counts.

And Jonathan, thank you for the vote of confidence and the kind words. I try to do a good job, and hope that I've given you good materials to work with.

Greg, Chris and any other moderators, thank you for letting me make a proper ass out of myself unedited. What more could I ask from a forum? Some forums are over-moderated and decidely un-lively (CC), and thankfully that doesn't happen here.

I look forward to sharing this forum with all of you.

Tip
Old July 24th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #64
2nd Unit TV

There, ya see. Like a big family only with guard dogs running from the Basset on the sofa like me to the Pit Bulls on the porch like Greg and Chris. So temper, temper. Don't let the Big Dogs get off the porch!!! ;-) OK all kidding aside, this forum is tight but it's trusting letting the families argue a bit but never cross the line. In this forum, we never will.

As for Isabella, she has a rather large European following and there are a number of filmmakers over there as well I'd like to see join the Board. She's a fantastic makeup artist and she wants to be more in the industry. I think 2nd Unit is a good place to get practice and exposure. And she won't hurt our ratings, I can sure tell you that!
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:01 AM   #65
Major Player

Thank you, Tip!

I appreciate and accept your apology. I told Paolo in a private email last night that I truly thought you were a good guy and had nothing but respect for what you do. I'll also take you up on that beer sometime. Perhaps Paolo and I will need to make sure you deliver!

My wife reminds me often how stubborn I can be--and how I sometimes let my passion about work and life, and the stress that that can cause, make me a little full of myself. So, I once again apologize if I offended you.

Jonathan, I appreciate and respect your diplomacy. I also agree whole heartedly about what this extended family is all about and admire what you and your crew are creating. I guess like all families, sometimes the emotions can boil.

Chris and Greg, thank you for letting us air our dirty laundry and deal with it in a proactive, respectful way. Your attention and resolve in running this high-quality forum is deeply appreciated.

P.S. Does Jaime realize that he has been voted off the island?
Old July 25th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #66
2nd Unit TV

He made fun of my shirt and off he went!!! Actually, Jaime and Isabella are going to be sharing duties for awhile. We have some really exciting things coming up for the audience with a number of sponsors stepping up to the plate for Season 2. Also, we're shooting a documentary, the first for 2nd Unit and are crewing for it right now so if you're thinking of coming on board for something, this should be a great time. We're finishing the script right now and getting heavilly into pre-production so we're ready to go when the UCLA semester starts. If you'd like to take on some responsibility for this, let me know. It's targeted directly at the festival and Emmy markets to prove a team from DVXInfo can make a film that's that good and it makes a social statement as well.
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #67
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Sayre
Chris and Greg, thank you for letting us air our dirty laundry and deal with it in a proactive, respectful way. Your attention and resolve in running this high-quality forum is deeply appreciated.
I just wish you would at least hide the tighty-whities with the skidmarks behind a sheet or something!
Old July 25th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #68
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Forman
I just wish you would at least hide the tighty-whities with the skidmarks behind a sheet or something!
LOL! I ran out of clothespins and had no other choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
Also, we're shooting a documentary, the first for 2nd Unit and are crewing for it right now so if you're thinking of coming on board for something, this should be a great time. We're finishing the script right now and getting heavilly into pre-production so we're ready to go when the UCLA semester starts. If you'd like to take on some responsibility for this, let me know. It's targeted directly at the festival and Emmy markets to prove a team from DVXInfo can make a film that's that good and it makes a social statement as well.
I'd love to get involved. What is the documentary about? When does the UCLA semester start?
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #69
2nd Unit TV

OK, part of the reason we created 2nd Unit is so that we can at least all learn to talk like real filmmakers. You can't use words like "clothes pins" nor may you buy them in lots of 100 at the .99 store. We are entertainment industry professionals who call things by their proper names, c-47s in this instance, and we pay the appropriate surcharge of $6 per C-47 bringing them to grand total of $6.01 per C-47. Please try and remember this simple rule when addressing this board or producing anything entertainment-related. The manufacturers of clothspins...I mean C-47s everywhere thank you.
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #70
Major Player

Uh, yeah, I'm sorry that I let my guard down.

In Indiana, we have a little known, unwritten, secret dispensation from the Underground Gaffers Hideout (U.G.H.) that allows all Hoosier filmmakers to use the more pastoral term clothespin instead of the more technically apt term C-47 or bullet. Why? Because Indiana had a famous C-47 manufacturer. In fact, with your Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association National Championship production, you might be interested in this company, Jonathan.

Visit this page to learn why and make sure you also scroll down to the bottom of the page to see evidence of early Hoosier C-47 activity: http://www.imh.org/imh/saddle/catalog.html
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #71
2nd Unit TV

Don't ya just luv those old tyme ads? I used to have a comparitive plaque mounted in my office that had 2 clothespins; 1 with the name of the manufacturer stamped on one side and an identical "C-47" with the same stamp on one side and the production house's name on the other..and the difference in price? Exactly $1.29. One 10 cents and one $1.39. I've kept that to remind myself how far from reality this business can get.
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #72
Major Player

Jonathan, my bags are packed and batteries are charged. just give me a call and I am there.
I would love to help out on your Documentary.
I have JVC HD100ua camera
AT897 mic
Focus 101 tripod
1 IDX battery
Portabrace bag
Cir pol filter
1994 toyota pickup (1 bullett hole in door)
and a desire to use this equipment that has been gathering dust due to lack of work here.
Help me make that FIRST step into my new career.

Joe Bowey,
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:38 AM   #73
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ames
Don't ya just luv those old tyme ads? I used to have a comparitive plaque mounted in my office that had 2 clothespins; 1 with the name of the manufacturer stamped on one side and an identical "C-47" with the same stamp on one side and the production house's name on the other..and the difference in price? Exactly $1.29. One 10 cents and one $1.39. I've kept that to remind myself how far from reality this business can get.
Anytime you add "video" to something, it raises the value at least 60%.
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #74
2nd Unit TV

We'll be starting a new thread on the documentary today with all the info and it'll serve as a meeting place for the crew.
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #75
Capt. Quirk

Will the shirt also have it's own forum?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > 2nd Unit Television