Loreo 3D shots, how to display?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery
Discuss 3D (stereoscopic video) acquisition, post and delivery.

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Loreo 3D shots, how to display??

I've been fooling around a lot with this Loreo 3D Lens-In-A-Cap unit on my Canon 7D. I went to the aquarium the other day and shot some footage of fish in the tanks. What you get is a divided picture at full 1920x1080 res, kind of like what a side-by-side 3D display image comes out as, but with a less distinct middle of the frame delineation.

Anyone have any experience with these types of 3D images in regards to displaying them on a 3D HDTV or converting them to any other display format?

The shot I've attached is a 1920x1080 still frame if anyone want to experiment with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Loreo 3D shots, how to display??-ray-3d.jpg  
Attached Images

Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Trustee

Not only do I have experience with Loreo, my Loreo footage was the original reason why I wrote the Bororo 3D plug-in for Sony Vegas. It was with my Loreo lens that I shot this video and with the Bororo 3D plug-in that I made it into a displayable video.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Adam, is this workflow for Loreo outlined in your Vegas docs? I'll fire up Vegas and check it out.
Bruce Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Trustee

I don't believe I have ever gotten to describing that particular method, so here it is.

Put your video on the timeline. Go to the FX tab and select Bororo 3D Horizontal Adjustment. Drag the "vertical line" preset on the video. A vertical line will appear. Change the value of "Offset in Pixels" to find the dividing line between your left and right views (at least with my 35 mm adapter, it is never in the middle). Once satisfied, uncheck the "Vertical Line" checkbox and select the output method at the right end of the dialog. You can still change the value of the "Offset in Pixels" to refine it.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #5
Trustee

Bruce, I had one of the early Loreo 3D gadgets which was OK for prints etc using their viewer but the optics were poor and I sent it back to them. The new version looks improved.

The impediment to getting your material on to a 3DTV seems to be the lack of a box to send each half image to a shuttering 3DTV. I imagine you'd be content to live with the loss of resolution inherent in that system and to a vertical half frame.

Those considerations are why we didn't pursue the Loreo device for video..
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
I've been fooling around a lot with this Loreo 3D Lens-In-A-Cap unit on my Canon 7D. I went to the aquarium the other day and shot some footage of fish in the tanks. What you get is a divided picture at full 1920x1080 res, kind of like what a side-by-side 3D display image comes out as, but with a less distinct middle of the frame delineation.

Anyone have any experience with these types of 3D images in regards to displaying them on a 3D HDTV or converting them to any other display format?

The shot I've attached is a 1920x1080 still frame if anyone want to experiment with it.
It is ready to be displayed on HD TV.
All you need is a stereoscope glasses like:

jpsOneEye

Google search will give you the link to the product.

Mathew Orman
Mathew Orman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello all,

first-time poster who actually found this forum when trying to track down Adam Stanislav. Adam, I just wanted to thank you for the Sony Vegas plug-ins and the Avisynth toolbox you created; your efforts are much appreciated!

Anyhoo, I wanted to share a clip I made with the Loreo 3D Lens-in-a-Cap 9005. It's one of my very first tests. I spent all of 5 seconds grading the shot so, yeah, don't expect any miracles. Image quality is nothing special either, due to 9005's plastic optics. You can download the clip here:

http://www.saitti.org/temppi/puut.wmv

It's in Side-by-Side (Half) configuration and plays nicely on a PC with Nvidia 3D Vision, and also on a 3D HDTV that supports file playback and SbS (H).

Folks familiar with the Loreo 9005 might notice something peculiar about the clip :)
Petri Teittinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Trustee

You're quite welcome, Petri. I am glad you find it useful.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:29 AM   #9
New Boot

Re: Loreo 3D shots, how to display??

Hey all - I know this thread is like 6 years old but it seems to be the best resource for what I'm after :)

I'm planning to do a small shoot on my 7D for an app which will play via GearVR. It seems GearVR supports "half side by side" mode, and I'd love to purchase the Loreo 9005a if it does the trick.

So... does it? I'm a little confused about the resolution it outputs and how half SBS mode works. In theory I would think that the imagery needs to be squeezed into the frames (e.g. not just that the Loreo captures 960x1080 video, but that those images are squeeezed?)

Unfortunately I don't have devices to test on yet - but I may be able to check the Gear VR soon :)

Along with advice, can anyone provide raw video captured on the 7D with the Loreo 9005 (or 9005a) so that I can play with it myself?

The other option is to rent a different cam, but I'd rather avoid that cost and invest in a new tool I can own... and keep pimping out my trusty ol' 7D :)

Thanks!
David Komer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > 3D Stereoscopic Production & Delivery