DVCameraRigs - hard or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DVCameraRigs - hard or not?

I have zero experience with metal work, welding, etc. (hell, I can barely solder :-} )

Would the projects in DVCameraRigs be easy for me to construct? It is kinda hard to tell from the website what types of skills and at what level I would need in order to create any of their projects.

Thanks,

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

I have made the doorway dolly from the book, and that was not too hard. I'm working on one of the small jibs now, and that's a bit trickery. I don't yet have the confidence to try the large crane (sorry Dan, I forget the names of most these).
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #3
Major Player

If you can do basic home improvements/auto maintenance you can do this stuff.

Fortunately, it's all cheap enough so that when we start out just tell yourself that you will make a prototype of each one. This will allow you to screw up, learn from your mistakes, and roll that into a new one.

The trick is to have fun doing it. I enjoy screwing around with that stuff cause it is so different from my day job. I head out to the garage with a radio, a cooler full of beer and a handful of cigars.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Alex,

I wrote the book with people like you in mind! I really think if you can drill a hole and follow directions, you shouldn't have any problems. There are 1,334 step-by-step photos in the book to keep you on track. Also, the materials section before each chapter is a photo shopping list. So even if you don't know what an item might be, you can show the photo to the guy at the hardware store. I'd like to include one of the many e-mails I've received from builders that might ease your mind:

"I made it!!!! Im so impressed with your plans and detailed instructions. Being an woman who never had the benefit of shop class, I was worried that I would not be up to it. I did make a few more trips to the store than some I'm sure. Another thing I learned is that don't improvise with materials, you have figured it out right."

This woman built the Shock Corridor Stabilizer: the hardest project in the book. Also, the 2 easiest projects to build are also the one's we use most around here: the dolly combined with the "Killer's Kiss Crane" which is a short jib arm. If you can open a jar of peanut butter, you can build this jib. Most people can build these in a day, and that includes buying the materials!

Plus I'm always available via e-mail to help out if you get stuck.

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Dan Selakovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #5
Major Player

For Joshua,

There are those that look at all of the photos and simply become overwhelmed! The trick is to just buy what you need, and go step-by-step. Again, if you get stuck, I'm here to help. Really!

Dan
Old October 19th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Alex,

Crap! one more thing: No welding is required! (I can't solder either).

Dan
www.DVcameraRigs.com
Old October 19th, 2004, 10:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely ordering it next paycheck (just bought my camera so I am broke till then) !

THanks,

ALex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Selakovich : For Joshua,

There are those that look at all of the photos and simply become overwhelmed! The trick is to just buy what you need, and go step-by-step. Again, if you get stuck, I'm here to help. Really!

Dan -->>>

Thanks, Dan. I'll definitely be writing in if I get into trouble. My big problem right now is drilling through metal - I've never done it before so I'm going slow, and occasionally the holes don't end up quite where I want them. I'm thinking maybe I should have tried the pipe crane instead.

I do, eventually, want to build one of those 14' badboys though.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #9
Major Player

"occasionally the holes don't end up quite where I want them."

That's why it's important to spend the 4 bucks on a prick punch. Give it a good thwack and set the drill bit in the dimple. It's not going anywhere!

Dan
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Major Player

Also try and pick up the drill guide. I found one for like $20 bucks and it makes all the difference when drilling through the round metal tubing.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Will do.

Thanks.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Additional Camera Support Topics