Cut a short clip....use later. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Cut a short clip....use later.

I am trying to cut a short clip so that I can use it at various times later in the timeline.
I don't to have to tirm all around it and save it as an .avi just so to import into my final time line project.

There has to be an easy way of doing this?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Create a new timeline and copy it to it
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Stupid question...How do I create a new Time line...I looked and could not find it..
Thank you
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4
Major Player

file » new » sequence
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question another easy way to do this is to set the in and out points then right-click on the preview monitor and select create sub-clip.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #6
Major Player

my own common habit is to drag trimmed clips i 'may' use at a later stage to a point way after the sequence (i.e. half an hour after your edited timeline) or maybe on to an unwanted and unseen track (e.g. video track 5). that way you'll easily see it and be reminded about it, without it affecting your existing work.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Trustee

I'm new to Premiere Pro and I love the subclip features. I just set the in and out points in the full video file in the source monitor, choose whether I want audio, video, or audio and video, and drag the video to a new bin, organised by topic (birds, scenery, rabbits, cranes etc.)

PP will ask for a new name when you drag the clip. I can then choose from all the new subclips that have been created and work with them just like full videos, dragging them on to sequences once or more than once. I find that much better than keeping all the clips on a sequence timeline as that just confuses me. Subclips and sequences have revolutionised my editing.

I found this out froma series of tutorials on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=wackytrixxie

This guy (Cal) has some great tutorials - at last, something useful on YouTube. They are for Premiere Pro 2, but most of the principles are exactly the same. He explains keyframes, subclips and much more. Well worth a watch if you are a beginner.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite