Just learning Premire Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Just learning Premire Pro

Hey guy's I am just learning some of the basic of Premire Pro.
I am not sure what order I should be doing thing's but I am just diving into some items.

Currently I am trying to learn about slow motion and wondering what I can do about the audio? I have a clip of a youth football game when a player runs for a TD. I would like to replay the TD yet let the audio "continue on" and return back to the original footage after the TD clip is ran in slow motion. Which means I have to rip the audio from the clip. Unfortunately the manual does not have a section of slow motion...or I missed it?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Trustee

Guy,

Here is a good tutorial on slow motion and premiere http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/vi...tml?id=vid0235
As far as the audio I am not sure but I think you would have to unlink the audio from the video and play with it. One option is to copy your audio track and place it on a 2nd audio track, shorten the first one, shift the 2nd one forward and use the fade tool to transition between the two. Of course this is if the audio does not need to be that accurate.

Hope this helps,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Premiere has a function called "speed" or something like that. Just use a value less than 100% for slow motion.
If I remember correct, right click the actual clip on the timeline, and in the menu that pops up, this function should be one of the options.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, I was able to get the clips and speed to adjust properly.

But my problem is the audio. I don't want dead air and I don't want Charlie Browns teacher in the back ground.

In my flag football example my clips go like this...
Video & Audio Player runs for a TD
Video & AudioThe team attempts the extra point.

I want to take a slow mo video only and overlay it between the TD run and Extra point attempt all the while the original audio is still playing.

This way the Audio never changes and the viewer can hear all the cheers and comments, see the shot in slow mo than blend back to live so to speak.
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I don't if I did it correct and not real sure how I did it. But I took the clip and removed the audio and they just inserted it as an overlay.
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Now I can't reproduce it...
I know there is a simple setting for this.
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Major Player

I've done things very similar to what you're trying to do, and it's pretty easy once you've done it a few times.

What you need to do is find the place where you want to start playing the video in slow motion. Hit the X key or click on the razor blade tool and cut out the portion of the clip from your timeline. Now, right click on the short clip you just made, and select "Unlink Audio". Click off somewhere else to de-select your clip, and then RE-select the video portion. Drag it to the next available video layer, and then start messing with slowing it down. Since you're slowing it down, it will take up more space on the timeline, which means you'll need to cut it short in order for it to fit in that space. If you need to slow down the clip and play it in it's entirety, you'll need to get more audio to fill in the extra space. Usually, what I will do, is find some very similar sounding audio somewhere else in the project and copy/past it into the gap. Throw in a couple of crossfades and match your levels, and no one will know the difference. Hope this helps!
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #8
Major Player

In this example I used that may work. However, one of the reasons I am doing this is to edit some live songs for a band. I just want to take some other shots of the crowd and lay them in while the music is playing. Multiple camera shoot would have convered this but I need to get creative.

I am still working it out. I may have it shortly...
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Ok here is what I did and it seems to be working. I will know for sure when I try this technique on the band with the live music.

I set the marker where I wanted the slow motion to start and I selected the toggle track lock on the Audio line and inserted the Slow Mo clip (that does not have sound) and then toggled back to the unlock mode.

So far so good.
Old June 29th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Trustee

What you're talking about is called and "L edit", I believe. I do this all the time. The easiest way for me is to drop the MOS clip where I want it, then alt/click the end of the audio clip I want to extend and drag it to the end of the MOS clip.

Alt/click and drag will change the in or out point of either the audio or video of a linked clip in the timeline without effecting the other element. It's quicker than unlinking the audio and video and you don't run the risk of getting the audio and video out of sync.

Also, all the reports I've read state that time remapping yields better slow motion than right clicking on the clip and adjusting the Speed command. I've used both and cannot personally notice a difference, but I've not done a direct comparison. You might also want to play with switching frame blending on and off to see which you like best.

There are several examples of doing precisely what you want to do in the last 3 minutes of this clip here: http://www.vimeo.com/1240445
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite