How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs - Page 17 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 6th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #241
Trustee

Right click on the file or even directory and go to security. You will see something like this for users and administrators. Change anything you need to change, but be aware you may need to go back to your Program Files directory, or even the root to gain full access to your disk.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-6-1-2011-17-44-44.jpg   How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-6-1-2011-17-45-05.jpg  

Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #242
Inner Circle

...and if that doesn't work (and sometimes it doesn't), you might need to go to the Advanced tab shown at the bottom in the image above, and choose Owner and edit that to designate your user name as the Owner rather than System or Administrator (if I recall correctly).

Win 7 seems irrationally protective of directories it used to routinely give you access to in past OSes and this is the best way I've found around that.
Attached Thumbnails
How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-owner1.jpg   How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-owner2.jpg  

Old January 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #243
Inner Circle

Going back to the instructions in Post #1, has anyone really determined if anything other than step 3 is really necessary? The whole GPUsniffer routine is only to get your card name, which you might already know. And the settings in the NVidia control panel don't seem to have any effect, at least not on my system (and as noted elsewhere, it still thinks it's talking about CS4, even when you point to the CS5 exe).

So in my case, with a 480, I just go to the text file, find the line with "470" in it and change the 7 to an 8. Done.
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #244
Major Player

performance Premiere Pro CS5

hi,
i dont know if my previous post got posted so i will place it again here.
i thought i would post some JPGs i captured while viewing the performance results in Windows 7. at the point of capture i am running both Premiere Pro CS5 and Encore CS5. i am editting my menus in Encore while i imported the timeline from Premiere. This is a nice feature. :-) i am converting 1440x1080i 1.333 anomorphic to 720x480 widescreen. As you can see CPU usage is high but not 100% it averages 91%-97% usage. Menory usage is very high at about 22GB. Premiere is using the full 20GB RAM installed plus a small swap file. As you can also see E: drive is my Media cache drive and F: is my RAID 0 3 drive AVI files drive/ progect drive. E drive shows high usage 50%-100% usage. My thinking is at least with this process the computer is only as fast as the slowest component. Yes a better CPU would help but I think a RAID 0 media cache drive would help also and much cheeper. $80USD compared to a new CPU $800 USD +. Before I upgraded to CS5 I was pegging the CPU at 100% usage.
My 3rd JPG shows my second try at encoding the progect. This shows that Premiere Pro CS5 is only using 15.7GB of RAM and CPU usage is 100%. The only thing i changed is moving the Media Cache file location from the single HDD E to my RAID 0 3 HDD F. Could this have made the difference?
What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-usage-during-convert.jpg   How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-usage-during-convert2.jpg  

How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs-usage-during-convert-2nd-test.jpg  
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:01 AM   #245
Trustee

John,

You are correct in that the location of the media cache influences these results.

With the media cache and media cache database on a single disk, the CPU is waiting for the disk to deliver its data, hence the lower CPU usage. When located on a fast raid0, the CPU is no longer waiting for these data and can then hand over data to the GPU for scaling at a higher rate. Possibly due to the better syncing between CPU and GPU, there is a lesser burden on memory, so less memory is used.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #246
Regular Crew

Re: How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs

Never mind

Last edited by Marc Brackhahn; March 26th, 2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: problem solved
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite