From Sony Vegas to Premiere at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 4th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Major Player

From Sony Vegas to Premiere

Hi there,
I am in a transition of moving from Sony Vegas to Premiere CS5.5
I am trying to get use to the way the premiere commands work, but it is not that smooth for me after so many years of using Vegas.
So I will probably ask many questions over time.
I would like to know if there is a way to have the same Space command key like in Sony Vegas to premiere .
I was looking for it but could not find it.
In Sony Vegas the enter key is what the space bar in premiere,
what the space bar does in Vegas is bring you back to the same point after click on it the 2nd time.
Let me try to explain it other way,
First time you click on the space bar it will work just as the space bar key in the premiere but when you click on the space bar one more time it will bring it back to same point it started but it does not work like a a loop when you have to mark the in and out point.
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: From Sony Vegas to Premiere

The keyboard is completely customizable --- Edit > Keyboard Customization. Whether you can make a single customization do subsequent actions I rather doubt, but when you get comfortable with Premiere's commands ... the page up and page down keys take you to the head or tail of a clip, or to the next clip, for example, which is what I think you are describing...you'll be more at ease with Premiere. The tools are there, but you need some guidance to find them.

One thing you will get to like about Premiere is the on-line help files, which will answer most of your questions. There are also extensive tutorials at adobetv. You can download the help files and keep them on your desktop, also.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Dror,

To my knowledge, there's no option in Premiere to get the Vegas spacebar behavior. It's not a matter of keyboard customization, the option simply doesn't exist. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

Premiere is a great program, but you'll have to accept losing some of the features Vegas has. Off the top of my head, the two features I miss most:

- Uninterrupted timeline playback. In Premiere, almost anything you do will stop timeline playback.
- Good clip markers and regions. The timeline markers in Premiere are fine but the clip markers are more limited. There's no concept of region marking.

Good luck with your transition.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
Hi Dror,

To my knowledge, there's no option in Premiere to get the Vegas spacebar behavior. It's not a matter of keyboard customization, the option simply doesn't exist. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong.
Does not exist in Premiere.

Quote:
Premiere is a great program, but you'll have to accept losing some of the features Vegas has.
And gaining a few.

Quote:
Off the top of my head, the two features I miss most:

- Uninterrupted timeline playback. In Premiere, almost anything you do will stop timeline playback.
There are quite a few things you can do without the playback stoping.

Quote:
Good clip markers and regions. The timeline markers in Premiere are fine but the clip markers are more limited. There's no concept of region marking.
Go into the marker dialog box and set duration, this will give you a white bar.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Ann,
Of course Premiere has many advantages over Vegas. There are also more features available in Vegas missing from Premiere that I did not mention, as I'm sure Dror will discover the more he uses Premiere.

Did not mean to do a complete pro/con between both programs, just point out that moving from Vegas to Premiere inevitably means giving up a few goodies that one has gotten used to :)

If you use both programs you'll know what I mean about uninterrupted timeline playback. There's simply no comparison, and over the years I've seen requests from users to improve this feature in Premiere.

Marker duration is not as flexible as regions, and is only available for timeline markers. The entire edit marker dialogue is missing from clip markers, which is a shame.

For what it's worth, I started using Premiere (at version 6.5) years before Vegas, and today I use both, precisely because each of them has it's own strengths and weaknesses.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #6

Is there a setting to keep playback going?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #7
Adobe Systems

Probably not in the way you like. I suggest you make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite