3-way Colour Corrector vs FCP & Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old December 7th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Trustee

3-way Colour Corrector vs FCP & Vegas

I've been using Premiere Pro CS3 for a few years now and everything about it suits my workflow just fine, except for one thing: the 3-way colour corrector.

I really dislike it. It is fidgety, confusing and over-complicated. I hate having to continually switch between the master/highlights/mids/shadows tabs in order to make adjustments, and it really takes the joy out of colour correcting my projects. I constantly make adjustments in the wrong tab and end having to work my way backwards to figure out what I did wrong.

What I really would like is something the same as the 3-way colour correctors in FCP and Sony Vegas Pro. These ones are simple, can be done entirely using the single visual interface, and always give the results I expect.

Are there any simple Colour correction plug-ins avalable for Premiere Pro, which resemble those found in FCP and Sony Vegas? I would be willing to spend several hundred dollars on a plug-in, as at the moment this is the one part of my workflow where I really get bogged down. I know there's plug-ins like Colour FInesse and Magic Bullet, but I'm not too keen on learning what is essentially an entire colour grading platform; I just want a simple, efective 3-way Corrector like Vegas and Final Cut users get!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: 3-way Colour Corrector vs FCP & Vegas

Check out Colorista II from Red Giant. Should suit you perfectly.

Red Giant - Products - Magic Bullet Colorista II
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks Bart,

Looks interesting. I somehow overlooked this completely when checking out Red Giant's Magic Bullet offerings. It even privides an easy way to create vignettes in Premiere, which is a big plus, as usually for me adding a basic vignette involves a trip to AE or Photoshop.

If nobody else chimes in I'll give the trial a whirl and probably buy the full version.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I agree with Bart. Unless you want to try a separate program like DaVinci Resolve, you won't find anything better than Colorista II.

Kevin
Kevin Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Major Player

In terms of vignettes, let me make a shameless plug:

Three ways to make a vignette in Premiere Pro | Life's caveats and wonders

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite