DVRack HD Support 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 15th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #1
Major Player

DVRack HD Support 24p?

I posted this in the thread and have not heard from anyone. Does anyone know if DVRack with the HDV add-on supports 24p yet? Either officially or unofficially. I am getting ready to purchase this product, but need to know if it supports 24p.
Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Serious Magic

Well,

There are two main formats when talking about 24p.

There are standard DV camcorders, like the DVX100a, that shoot 24 frames per second, but then telecine it to 29.97fps to maintain compatibility with the DV codec. DV Rack is fully compatible with this type of 24p, including the variant called 24pa. It records exactly what the camera provides, which is the 29.97 telecine'd footage. To remove the pulldown frames, you'll need to do that in your editor.

There is also a new 24p format used in JVC and Canon's newest HDV cameras. This is a "true" 24-frames-per-second recording, with no telecine necessary when recording to tape. This new format wasn't in the HDV spec when we created the HDV PowerPak, and we haven't qualified it yet.

In talking with most customers, this true 24p HD mode seems to work fine with DV Rack (and this makes perfect sense, keeping with the design of "record what the camera provides.") However, we've had 1-2 isolated cases where customers are reporting unusual behavior when recording in this mode. At this point, we're not sure if it's a problem with a particular laptop, or if it's an incompatibility with the new format. We are getting a camera in house soon, and should be able to qualify the format soon.
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Soule
There are two main formats when talking about 24p.

There are standard DV camcorders, like the DVX100a, that shoot 24 frames per second, but then telecine it to 29.97fps to maintain compatibility with the DV codec. DV Rack is fully compatible with this type of 24p, including the variant called 24pa. It records exactly what the camera provides, which is the 29.97 telecine'd footage. To remove the pulldown frames, you'll need to do that in your editor.

There is also a new 24p format used in JVC and Canon's newest HDV cameras. This is a "true" 24-frames-per-second recording, with no telecine necessary when recording to tape. This new format wasn't in the HDV spec when we created the HDV PowerPak, and we haven't qualified it yet.

In talking with most customers, this true 24p HD mode seems to work fine with DV Rack (and this makes perfect sense, keeping with the design of "record what the camera provides.") However, we've had 1-2 isolated cases where customers are reporting unusual behavior when recording in this mode. At this point, we're not sure if it's a problem with a particular laptop, or if it's an incompatibility with the new format. We are getting a camera in house soon, and should be able to qualify the format soon.
Great.
Thank you for the response. I have my JVC HD100 camera now and will be trying the trial version hopefully this weekend to make sure all is well before I buy.
Thank you.
Old May 24th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Any update on this?

thanks
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Serious Magic

The 24P mode should work fine with DV Rack. Any early reports we had of strange behavior was caused by the CPU of the customers' systems maxing out.
Karl Soule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Does DV Rack Recognize 24p?

I captured Panasonic DVX 100b 24pa footage onto a separate hard drive through DV Rack but when I scrub the clip, frame by frame through the playback module, it shows my clip as having 29.97 frames instead of 23.97. Is that normal or did I miss something?
Old April 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Trustee

I may have had a flash of inspiration: I think I remember reading somewhere that the DVX captures 24p but wraps it in an 29.97 fps interlaced coat so it can be played back on tape or, maybe in this case, through DV Rack. It only shows up as 24p when the proper NLE removes that coat and plays it on a timeline for 24p editing. Can somebody confirm this?
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Trustee

For anyone who wants to know, I have my answer by experimentation. Just look at my last post.
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9

by definition, and by specification, ALL DV footage is 29.97 fps. Every inch of it. If it's DV, then it's 29.97. The cadence of 24 fps can be incorporated in DV by applying pulldown algorithms that artificially bump 24 fps capture up to 29.97 to comply with DV requirements.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #10
Trustee

Thank you, Bill.
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hugh,
You didn't mention the version of DV Rack that you are using but DV Rack HD 2.0 has the ability to remove the pulldown as it records to disk. So even though the 24pa footage is coming over the firewire as 29.97 fps, DV Rack 2.0 creates a 24 fps file.
-Dan
Dan Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #12
New Boot

Onlocation records the JVC HDV 720P 24 mode fine, but when imported into Premiere Pro CS3, it inteprets it as 29.97 and when you try to change it, it fixes the video, but makes the audio all slow.

I hope Adobe fixes this.
Dennis Tzeng is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite