Mixing SD progressive footage with interlaced... and bonus doubt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing SD progressive footage with interlaced... and bonus doubt

Hi! Iīm editing a music videoclip shot with a Sony PD150 in 25i and a Canon XL2 25p (Im a PAL lander). Anyone could recommend me the best workflow to mix both footages in the same timeline?

Deinterlace the whoooole footage of the 150, and then work in a 25p timeline? Better ideas?

Ah! Something else... does anyone know if Premiere Pro 2.0 (and After FX) would take advantage of a dual dualcore Opteron architecture with 4 gigas, with a future HDV migration in mind? I couldnīt find the answer in Adobeīs site...

Thanks in advance! Hernan
Hernan Vilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Sorry, I can't help too much with interlacing.

But the Adobe suite only "officially" works with 32-bit Windows XP, which has a 3GB RAM addressing limitation. I've read that added more than that to a 32-bit OS can even slow it down vs. the 3GB or even 2GB. YMMV obviously.

Now, some folks have gotten many of the Adobe apps to work with 64-bit Windows (XP and Vista), but expect to have plenty of issues with drivers and other quirks (and no Encore functionality at all).

On the upside, 64-bit OS can address WAY more than 4GB. I don't think Adobe has announced support of a 64-bit OS in it's mid-year upgrade, either.

Hardware is ahead of the software... sigh
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian, i read somewhere (it was veery late last night, i cant remember nor quote now) that if u use the 3gb option in the boot.ini of xp, u can use a total of 4 physical Gb, 3 are used by programs, the rest 1gb is used by the nucleo (?)

Can someone help with this issue?

And returning to the progressive-interlaced case, i did the following test: put both footage in a premiere 25p project, deinterlaced only the PD150īs shots with fieldkist deinterlacer (of course xl2 are beautiful progressive stuff) and exported as "no fields" in rendering options.

You can see some difference (much smoother the XL2 footage, the PD150 is a bit too sharp and some saw edges also) but anyway the whole looks nice to me... somebody ever tried this approach?

Thanks!!
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I have been running Adobe Apps on Windows 64 without any problems for last half a year. This has been my most stable setup so far.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have been running Adobe Apps on Windows 64 without any problems for last half a year. This has been my most stable setup so far.
Bart, could you describe in detail your system setup? And how do you manage the RAM issue? Thanks, Hernan
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, please... I too would like to know your setup, Bart, and if you've had any driver issues or trouble burning DVDs with 64-bit.

I'd like to dual boot 32-bit and 64-bit XP "flavors" and take advantage of the better RAM management of 64-bit.

Thanks!
Brian Brown
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Are u there Bart...?
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Hernan, getting back to your original question. What's your final target for this, and how important is preserving the "progressive look"? You can solve this problem either way, but some of the footage is going to have to be converted (either interlaced or de-interlaced).
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Ralph! My final target is internet and maybe broadcast. Its a music videoclip of a new band, with a sutil sound.

The final look must definetely be progressive. Im already working in a progressive timeline in ppro (no fields). Ive separated the interlaced and the progressive original clips in different tracks.

As i will make some slo moīs with twixtor, i will interlace these clips in after effects (with re:vision fieldskit) and import back as uncompressed deinterlaced in the progressive project in ppro (i cant manage to deinterlace and twixtor in the same project, ppro doesnt let me)

Then i will apply fieldskit to the rest of the remaining interlaced clips, make an overall cc and finally render with no fields. Sounds good to me.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #10
New Boot

in premiere you can choose to export the footage as progessive...in one of the compressors. so you can work with both in the time line and then export it as what ever "progressive" and then in to encore 2 burn 2 dvd or what ever your putting it to. windows x32 will only make uses of 3gigs of ram...you can have more than that but it will be a wast. DO NOT GET INTO THE REGISTRY UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!! drivers are the biggest issue for windows x64 witch sucks cause premiere wont load if a neccisary driver is missing. i dont know how well adobe products work on x64. sry
Michael Behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #11
Major Player

Hernan,

The workflow idea had to do using just one file and saving daily backups under different name. Nothing to do with performance etc.

Michael,

Adobe products are quite robust under Win64 provided that you have all hardware drivers you need (ie sound and video).
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite