Codec to capture HDV in Premiere Pro 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old February 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Codec to capture HDV in Premiere Pro 2

What exactly is the codec that is used by Premiere Pro 2?

I have 3 at the moment. The first one is HD SDI which I just found out my XHA1 does not support (no wonder it keeps on saying capture device offline)

Second is DV Capture which works fine for DV only. Third is Cineform which works too but I do not want to go this route unless I have too ($$$ issues).

U downloaded the Canon presets from Adobe's website and when I start a proj using one of the presets it doesn't display any capture mode (as in any of the above mentioned three). Perhaps I'm missing a codec.

Maybe if anyone can tell me I'll go looking for it.
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My assumption is you have the same HDV capture capability as the Sony HDV cameras. In Premire Pro 2 you are actually capturing the native hdv stream. Therefore, you select when you start your project, ADOBE HDV, 1080I 30 (SONY 60i). Try that , and then report back, if it doesn't capture.

Premiere Pro 1.51 actually captured with an on board Cineform codec, but that is not true of 2.0. YOu have to buy Aspect to use Cineform in 2.0.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I already did that the first time round and Premiere listed the capture device as HD SDI which off course doesn't work :(
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

And you are using the firewire cable to connect ?? Wow, crazy. Not making sense to me...
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I used a trial version of HD Link to extract the MTS. file. Open a new project in Premiere to import the file. My Premiere 2.0 does suppost MTS. file :(

ps.Yes,the firewire cable is fine.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Major Player

I have the same camera and software. When I first installed it, Windows kept complaining about about needing a driver. I finally let it install the "AV/C Device" driver (it found it online) and the camera works fine now.

Also, make sure you have "HDV Camera" for Project>Project Settings>Capture AND as your capture camera/deck in the PPro capture settings.

Keep us posted,
Brian Brown
BrownCow Productions
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think I just figured it out.

Mine is the tryout version which according to my research at the forums does not support MPEG. (I did a clean reinstall and the same situation occurs, so I checked out the Adobe forums)

Regardless, there are ppl complaining about not being able to export to tape (Canon frame rate).

I think I will try out Sony and Avid before deciding.

Thanks anyway guys.
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite