Shotgun upgrade. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Shotgun upgrade.

I run a rode videomic on my vx2100 and it works fine for wedding ceremonies.

I am now looking for an equivalent upgrade for the stock mic on my PD150's. Any suggestions for a low cost upgrade?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Trustee

Jeff,

For value for money, it's hard to beat the Rode NTG-1. I use it (well, the NTG-2, close enough) on my Sony V1, it's great bang for the buck. $200-ish, I think, not sure of the US price.

The NTG-1 takes phantom power, the NTG-2 is a couple of inches longer and can take either a AA battery or phantom power.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, Mike!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Major Player

I really like the NTG-2 as well. Dan Brockett is fond of the AT875r and it is available for under $200, you might give it a look.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
Jeff,

For value for money, it's hard to beat the Rode NTG-1. I use it (well, the NTG-2, close enough) on my Sony V1, it's great bang for the buck. $200-ish, I think, not sure of the US price.

The NTG-1 takes phantom power, the NTG-2 is a couple of inches longer and can take either a AA battery or phantom power.
I upgraded to Rode NTG-1 for my Sony PD-170. It is shorter than NTG-2, fits my bag perfectly (I use it only on my camcorder though...) During ceremonies I use it with normal sensitivity setting on Sony, but when you are at the reception with a loud DJ, you have to use mic ATT (-20dB) setting because this mic is very hot...

B&H has a nice set of NTG-1 with a cable and a shock-mount (SM-3, which is a shoe-mount) for $250 w/free shipping. I asked them to replace SM-3 for SM-5 shock-mount, since I use my light in the shoe-mount. SM-5 fits exactly into staff mic place, you can insert it there from front or back of the mic mount. Though it is heavier, it serves my purpose well.

Good Luck!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio