Sennheiser EW100 ENG G2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
New Boot

Sennheiser EW100 ENG G2

Hi'
I would appreciate any input you all have on the Sennheiser EW100 ENG G2 Kit.
I I am making a documentary about my disabled son (Downs Syndrome) and plan to use this mike to keep things simple.

Thank you,
Craig
Craig Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I have been using it for a year now and it work flawlessly.
We recently use it to record a yoga teacher for a 40 hours seminar, sound was perfect. I also recorded long interviews inside and outside always a charm to operate.
I can only recommand it.
Many criticized the lavalier provided with the kit, I can only say that the sound was good enough for me and never had any complaint, so try it and trust your ears before spending on anything else.
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dear Craig,

The Sennheiser G2 wireless units work well.

The ME2 lavaliere works for many applications.

For critical work, or for the best sound, a better lavaliere can be added at any time. This will improve your sound quality.

The Sennheiser wireless units come in Frequency Groups A, B & C for the United States and two more groups are available for use in other countries.

In the United States, I would not purchase the "C" group at this time.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:43 AM   #4
New Boot

Check here for your city to choose the best frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear Craig,

The Sennheiser G2 wireless units work well.

The ME2 lavaliere works for many applications.

For critical work, or for the best sound, a better lavaliere can be added at any time. This will improve your sound quality.

The Sennheiser wireless units come in Frequency Groups A, B & C for the United States and two more groups are available for use in other countries.

In the United States, I would not purchase the "C" group at this time.
what's wrong with C? I bought group C last year as it had the most free frequency but they are all the same here in Chicago.

Last edited by Elias Neris; May 22nd, 2008 at 12:45 AM. Reason: need to add more.
Elias Neris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:54 AM   #5
Major Player

My understanding is that C will be dead in a year for wireless mics. It infuriates me to see dealers selling off the C banded stock and not letting you know that.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:59 AM   #6
New Boot

Opps, I made a mistake I'm a bit sleepy I actually have Band A. This is one mistake that worked in my favor knowing what you just said about band C.
Elias Neris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
My understanding is that C will be dead in a year for wireless mics. It infuriates me to see dealers selling off the C banded stock and not letting you know that.
Can you explain more on this please?
Doug Okamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:41 AM   #8
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
You can't kill a band. A set designed to work on the C band will work. I suppose that a band could be reassigned by the FCC, allowing a lot of other uses that could interfere, and I suppose that the FCC could mandate that manufacturers stop producing new wireless sets using that band. But a Google search didn't turn up anything like that.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Dear David,

It is not that the band will be killed off or made illegal; it is that this portion of the frequency spectrum is being sold for other uses.

How this will affect you is not really known.

What is known, however, is that you may be subject to more interference, or the possibility that you will not be able to find a free channel with the "C" Band units.

Everything is up in the air at this time. Bands A and B may also have problems as their portion of the frequency spectrum is reassigned.

However, the most vulnerable at this time is Band C.

Please note that this is not just a Sennheiser problem, all UHF wireless units from any manufacturer are affected
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:58 AM   #10
Major Player

There is a lot of speculation about the 700 MHz frequency spectrum sell off. All manufacturers here in the US are trying to figured out what is FUD and what is real. Some like Lectro will retrofit blocks 28 (I'm sure for a price). Sennheiser has already said they won't if their 'C' block has issues after the sell off. There are really two schools of thought on this. One school of thought is you'll simply have a harder time finding a clear channel, the other is you'll be banned by the FCC from using it. It's important however to remember that the 'C' block will continue to work through all of this. I suspect it'll simply be harder to find an open frequency, and even if banned, I doubt people will toss their radios into the rubbish pile any time soon. It will be more like Japan where wireless is pretty much prohibited (except on narrowband block 31), but all EU and US crews still use their gear and the government agencies simply turn a blind eye.

Wayne
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM   #11
New Boot

Thanks for the input

Thank for the information, good timing also, was planning on a purchase this morning.
Craig Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Keaton View Post
Dear David,

It is not that the band will be killed off or made illegal; it is that this portion of the frequency spectrum is being sold for other uses.

How this will affect you is not really known.

What is known, however, is that you may be subject to more interference, or the possibility that you will not be able to find a free channel with the "C" Band units.

Everything is up in the air at this time. Bands A and B may also have problems as their portion of the frequency spectrum is reassigned.

However, the most vulnerable at this time is Band C.

Please note that this is not just a Sennheiser problem, all UHF wireless units from any manufacturer are affected
Thanks, Dan. I think that's pretty much what I said. But does anyone have an authoritative link on this issue?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Dear David,

Here is one:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/27/u...k-700mhz-band/

Here one from the FCC directly:

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/def..._summary&id=73
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM   #14
DVCreators.Net

Hi Craig,

Sounds like an interesting project. The Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless sounds like a good solution for your audio needs. They've become almost an industry standard in the under $1000 range. The one thing that gets most people is that the unit will ship with the "AF OUT" on the Receiver a bit hot. So you'll need to turn it down to about -12. Here's a video that may help http://dvcreators.net/products/sennh...movieframe.htm

Good luck with your project.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio