how to capture audio the proper way at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

how to capture audio the proper way

majority of my projects are interviews
i have a senheiser system that i use the wireless mic to capture the audio. i shoot on the sony z1u and i for my xlr settings i to cut the audio at 6db and use the auto mode to capture the sound

problem i am facing is that for the most part when the person is talking the letter S is very sharp in recordings. and in compressions for web they start to sound like a wisp.

what settings should i use or what can i do to make this better?
thanks for your help
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What Sennheiser model are you using?

They have lots of wireless, G1, G2, lavaliere systems, and handheld mics.

The first thing I would check is the sensitivity adjustment on the transmitter.

If it is set to 0 dB, set it to -10 dB or even -20 dB for a test.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I would not recommend using the auto mode.
Set it to manual, send the signal to both channels, but keep one channel 6db lower.
What lavalier mic are your using with your Sennheiser system? The stock ME2?
Hsien Yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Sounds like a placement issue. Maybe move the mic (I assume it's a lav) a little lower down? You might try putting a foam windscreen on it. In fact I'd try that first, assuming you don't have the mic right under the chin or something. There's a thread in here recently about turning an omni lav upside down to cut down on the silibance you describe, but I haven't tried it. There are also audio filters intended to reduce the problem in post.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I find the low to mid level Sennheiser lav's excessively harsh and sibilant (try saying THAT sentence without being sibilant), especially when placed too close to the speaker's mouth. Hopefully you have the option of applying the lav to a lapel or feeding thru a button up shirt so you can mount the mic a little lower (12" isn't as bad as you'd think in a reasonable quiet environment - I normally go for sternum level).

If you're stuck wiring someone wearing a t-shirt - GOOD LUCK! You'll need it. Popping a lav out the neck hole of a T-shirt is a universal disaster. Consider anything useable to be a blessing.

I've actually gone to using a boom pole for nearly all seated interviews these days for this reason. I use wireless lavs only for in-motion shots or when the client INSISTS.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree that a boom is better. In addition to everything else mentioned, are you recording in HDV? This means compressed audio as well. You may want to get a field audio recording that doesn't record compressed audio- that will make a big difference.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio