Connecting Sony PCM D50 to SD 302 mixer at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #1
Tourist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 4
Connecting Sony PCM D50 to SD 302 mixer

I need to connect my PCM D50 to my 302 mixer and would like to know if I can go from the XLR to a stereo 1/8 inch "in" on my SONY. Do I need an optical cable? I do not want to fry anything on my SONY but I am interested in using the 302 to give phantom power to my mic's and then route to the SONY. Any help would be appreciated.

A Confused Canadian.
Braden Blackmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Espoo Finland
Posts: 380
It seems that Sony has two inputs you could use; line in and mic in. SD302 can feed either of those, the normal output is line level (use line in), but it can be tuned down from the SD302 menu to mic level out if needed.

SD302 has no digital/optical output, so an optical cable is useless.

You need a 2xF-XLR to M-ministereo-jack Y cable, which are available in better audio shops or you can soldier one yourself.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Tourist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 4
Thanks Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
It seems that Sony has two inputs you could use; line in and mic in. SD302 can feed either of those, the normal output is line level (use line in), but it can be tuned down from the SD302 menu to mic level out if needed.

SD302 has no digital/optical output, so an optical cable is useless.

You need a 2xF-XLR to M-ministereo-jack Y cable, which are available in better audio shops or you can soldier one yourself.

Thanks for the advice Peter, but I am still wondering if it is OK to plug a mini-stereo into the optical jack on the D50; it looks the same size but I have never seen an optical cable so I don't know for sure. I guess if I can't I will change the settings in the 302 to a mic level output or is is possible to get an xlr to digital cable?

Sincerely, Cable Woes
Braden Blackmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Blackmon View Post
Thanks for the advice Peter, but I am still wondering if it is OK to plug a mini-stereo into the optical jack on the D50; it looks the same size but I have never seen an optical cable so I don't know for sure. I guess if I can't I will change the settings in the 302 to a mic level output or is is possible to get an xlr to digital cable?

Sincerely, Cable Woes
Braden:

The line in is both optical and electrical. Page 28 of your manual describes using the line in function and page 29 describes using the optical input, which are the same jack labeled "line in (opt)".

Jeff
__________________
Panasonic HMC150/Canon A1/JVC HD1/Sony Vegas 8.0c
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albany, NY 12210
Posts: 2,650
Don't use the regular XLR outputs on the 302 for this. Use the tape out. You'll need a special cable to go from the stereo mini-XLR output on the 302 to the line in miniplug input on the Sony. That's what that output is designed for.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Don't use the regular XLR outputs on the 302 for this. Use the tape out. You'll need a special cable to go from the stereo mini-XLR output on the 302 to the line in miniplug input on the Sony.
Exactly. This is a cable you can use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...F_to_Mini.html

From there, add a mini-male to mini-male cable into your Sony camera.

- Martin
__________________
Martin Pauly
Martin Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Tourist
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 4
Thank you: Capital T

Thanks all who replied to my post. For a novice such as myself it is good to know that there are people to help with the bumps. This also saves me a lot of time because now I will just go with the tape out on my mixer and forget about the XLR. I will try to post some audio samples when I am done and also comment on whether the audio stays in sync with video. This board rocks!

A less stressed Canadain
Braden Blackmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Blackmon View Post
Thanks all who replied to my post. For a novice such as myself it is good to know that there are people to help with the bumps. This also saves me a lot of time because now I will just go with the tape out on my mixer and forget about the XLR. I will try to post some audio samples when I am done and also comment on whether the audio stays in sync with video. This board rocks!

A less stressed Canadain
Braden:

I just used my PCM D50 this morning (and the mike input) to capture some sound. I love that thing.

Short clips are always easy to sync to the video, and the quality is great.
__________________
Panasonic HMC150/Canon A1/JVC HD1/Sony Vegas 8.0c
Jeff Kellam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Albany, NY 12210
Posts: 2,650
"Exactly. This is a cable you can use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...F_to_Mini.html From there, add a mini-male to mini-male cable into your Sony camera."

Man, I've checked all over to see where the heck I got it, but you can do this in one step. I have a stereo mini-XLR to 3.5mm mini plug cable. Can't remember where I got it. It's about a foot and a half long.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network