Recommendations for lav? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Recommendations for lav?

I have a Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 that just the other day started crackling out when I moved the cord near the plug that plugs into the transmitter. I've heard the sound before, it's the sound of a cable that has been bent too much and money leaving my wallet...

I was never pleased with the audio quality from the mic as far as killing off some ambient audio. I know lavs are usually omni-directional, but I'd love something that has less of a range for pickup. The audio also never sounded super crisp, far better than trying to record a person talking outside with cars whizzing by with the on-board mic, but not excellent.

I'd love some recommendations on a mic to replace my existing one. I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to pay for what I want. Also has anyone had any experience with the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 headphones? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the difference in price to jump up to the HD650s or if for video recording the HD 595s are sufficient.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You may find this helpful http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/lavs_brockett.html

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Hayes View Post
I have a Sennheiser EW100ENG G2 that just the other day started crackling out when I moved the cord near the plug that plugs into the transmitter. I've heard the sound before, it's the sound of a cable that has been bent too much and money leaving my wallet...

I was never pleased with the audio quality from the mic as far as killing off some ambient audio. I know lavs are usually omni-directional, but I'd love something that has less of a range for pickup. The audio also never sounded super crisp, far better than trying to record a person talking outside with cars whizzing by with the on-board mic, but not excellent.

I'd love some recommendations on a mic to replace my existing one. I don't want to break the bank, but I'm willing to pay for what I want. Also has anyone had any experience with the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650 headphones? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the difference in price to jump up to the HD650s or if for video recording the HD 595s are sufficient.
Hello Noah,

Countryman EMW, B6
Sanken COS-11

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Noah, I've got the Senn HD600 cans and I'd never take them out on location, overkill.

I use them with some soothing music and a double scotch after I've throttled a client.
Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Thanks! That site is great, although of course the mics I like the sound of the best on their don't seem to have any easy way of hooking up to the EW100ENG G2 system. They all have proprietary connectors or use XLR. My wireless system is 1/8" (3.5mm) for connectors. The Countryman sounded very much like a tin can to me. So did the Sanken mics. I liked the DPA4061 and the AT899, nice retention of the low end and clean highs.

As far as the phones go I think I'll go lower end for monitoring and editing than the HD600, still thinking about how high I want to go (already have a couple pairs of the high end earbuds) for phones I would rarely use.
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Dear Noah,

You can get an 3.5mm (1/8") to XLR cable so that you can use an XLR lavaliere with your Sennheiser wireless system.

Be aware, that if the lavaliere microphone requires phantom power, then you will need to be able to provide phantom power to the microphone and the cable alone will not do that.
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Noah

I've got the G2 and two DPA 4061s.

A while back I was quoted £50 (UK) for a G2 DPA adaptor by Will Blackham at www.LTF-UK.com

I haven't bought it yet although I mean to.
Old June 28th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #8
Trustee

Just as a side not Noah you can get replacement plugs so that you could repair the mic you have and keep it as a spare.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SENNHEISER-EW1...d=p3286.c0.m14

I must admit I have to G2 radio mics and I am really happy with the quality of the supplied mics, I am personally going to get another sennheiser mic as a spare just to keep them all the same, they are also good value at around $100.
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:46 AM   #9
Major Player

try googling the plug's part number. S99112US

avail at many places here in the US...
Greg Bellotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Noah

The G2 with a DPA 4071 is a lovely package, the accessories really are great for the 4071, the windjammer works better than anything else I have ever used for that purpose be it for ENG work or hidden for Drama/Film work, I used to just have the one 4071 but whilst having issues working in a very windy place on a lovely little Period drama it was obvious how well the windjammer was working on a low cut period dress, to be honest it just sounded great and I was amazed how well it was working compared to the TR50, I quickly ordered 2 more and on a scene later in the week I had 2 women in similar costumes walking into the wind on a long shot moving into a tight (no tight on the walk in hence had to get the audio then) and mixed it all onto the boom for the rest of the scene (it transfered into a fast tight scene with 5 actors), the whole lot sounded really nice straight away and would not have been possible in my opinion without the windjammer on the 4071, it has since earned it's keep on ENG work as a visible mic, the point to this is that it's an extremely adaptable mic, with brilliant accessories, the microdot system has never let me down and is handy to jump between G2's and my Audio 2000's and the fact I don't have to worry about the majority of packs I might want to buy due to just being able to adapt relativly cheaply.

Let's put it this way,as a mixer I won't leave home without the 4071's, if I was working as a boom op/assistant with a mixer whoever he may be then I'd always keep a couple of 4071's and a kit of parts with me, at some time in the production I damn well know I'd need them to get us out of a situation.
Ian Savage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio