Big Boom at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Big Boom

Seems mic stands are the topic of the day :)

I am going to be shooting some dialogue scenes this weekend, and I am likely to not have a dedicated sound person to use my boom arm for the ME-66. The dialog is completely stationary though, so I was wondering if I could just get a large fixed boom arm and lock the mic above the speakers.... Do people do that?

Someone mentioned using a C-stand for this... I haven't used one of those for anything...

The boom would have to extend maybe 10ft past it's base for this... is that possible?

I have a budget, but would rather not spend a lot.... I happen to be going by B&H tomorrow....

Thanks in advance.
Barry Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #2
Major Player

Nice to know another Barry has a microphone problem. I have no answer though. :) Still, I was wondering about C-stands too.
Barry Rivadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #3
Wrangler

Re: Big Boom

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Gribble : Seems mic stands are the topic of the day :)

I am going to be shooting some dialogue scenes this weekend, and I am likely to not have a dedicated sound person to use my boom arm for the ME-66. The dialog is completely stationary though, so I was wondering if I could just get a large fixed boom arm and lock the mic above the speakers.... Do people do that?
---------------------
Alll the time. If you see a television studio they have specific cranes for this. Nobody can hold a portable boom for 28 minutes.
----------------------
Someone mentioned using a C-stand for this... I haven't used one of those for anything...
----------------------
No, what you want is a boom pole holder if you want to keep the cost low and you already have a pole. Gravity holds the boom in place. the holder mounts to something sturdy or you can counterbalance the pole or both.
---------------------
The boom would have to extend maybe 10ft past it's base for this... is that possible?
------------------
I've use a crane that has a 30 foot reach. The hard thing will be getting a counterbalance for your pole. Maybe a couple of weights from an exercise set would work.
---------------------------
I have a budget, but would rather not spend a lot.... I happen to be going by B&H tomorrow....

Thanks in advance. -->>>
Old March 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Trustee

I use a manfrotto combination boom stand. You can find them in B&H for $140 for silver and $160 for black. It has an 84" reach

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=152013&is=REG

The stand can be used as a straight light stand or a boom stand, it works for mics as well. It also has a very healthy weight rating.
It carries my softbox so a mic is childs play.

I have shorter stands for smaller settings.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I use a carbon fibre fishing pole, mounted on a lighting stand. Microphone fixed in a shock mount, attached with a half ins. thread eye taped to the tip of the pole, and a bag with some encyclopaedias in it as a counterweight at the other end. The fishing pole lies horizonally on 2 U shaped supports screwed into a piece of 2x1 timber, clamped to the lighting stand with a Manfrotto superclamp.

How far you can extend it depends on the length and strength of the fishing pole, and the weight of the microphone. I have gone as far as 16 feet beyond the stand.

Downside is that it is potentially unstable, so only safe if no-one is going to be walking near the stand.

The pro equivalent is the Ambient Jumbo boom.
http://www.firstsense.co.uk/Ambient/jumbo.htm

Patrick
Patrick Bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Used a C-stand this past weekend. Clamped the boom pole in the clamp, worked just fine. I did drop TWO sandbags on the legs to keep it steady.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I may have got hee too late for you (it's Sat morning), but for future reference, there two solutions:

1. a studio mic stand with a boom. it will take a rather large and expensive one to reach that far out.

2. If you have a microphone boom pole, you can get a cradle to hold the boom on a heavy light stand. You can see one here:

http://atscomms.com/Grip/grip.html
Marty Atias is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio