headphone jack splitting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 26th, 2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Major Player

headphone jack splitting

I am going to be doing a small shoot and was wondering if this is possible?

I will have a boom operator with me, and I would like to split the audio coming out of the headphone jack to two pairs of headphones. Is this possible? or do I need somekind of a distribution amp?
Jeff Toogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Major Player

You can get a splitter at Radio Shack that will work pretty well. You won't have separate gain control, obviously, and that can be a problem if the headphones are different - one could be much louder than the other ....

Make sure you get a stereo splitter ... they have mono ones also, and the difference is only in the small print.

Good luck.
Barry Gribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I think all stereo splitters will have have two "rings" on the metal pin instead of one. Your instincts are correct to want to hear the sound, for both you and your boom guy.

However....

I have only been a boom operator a couple of times. One thing I noticed when I wore headphones and boomed is that I become more oblivious to off mike sounds because I hear the dialogue the loudest.

When the boom operator has no headphones on they become very aware of off camera sounds because all sounds are more "average" to their ears. The "average sounds" could be blocked out during the live take by the actors actual dialogue.

Boom operators in general work off of visual distance to the performers. As long as the camera person is monitoring, I think I'd prefer to have my boom guy hear the natural sound ambience of the room.

Can we hear from boom operators who boom for camera operators who are recording the sound on their camera and are also wearing headphones?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio