looking for a mic for outdoor/indoor recording: not shotgun at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 15th, 2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

looking for a mic for outdoor/indoor recording: not shotgun

Hi,

Yesterday I came across an akg 1000 c secondhand and I was wondering if this could be a good overall mic to record ambient or dialog in versitile situations.
So far I am mainly in to documentary were I use my NTG3 on a boompole and the sennheisers wireless 100 series.
I wanna focus in future to other productions as well: fiction and live music recording,maybe also some nature recording (I have a edirol R44) so I was looking for another mic. which one should I buy?
more like a cardiod, wich I can turn in to supercardiod like the AKG 1000 C?
do you have any suggestions?
my budget is limited to 500 dollars...

Thanks a lot

niels
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For 500 bucks you can easily find a used AKG 460 (480) with ack63 capsule. A world apart to the one you mention.

The difference btw between the 460 and the 480 is that the 460 is transformer balanced and the 480 does not have a transformer. The 480s output is also a bit higher. Which is better? I've got a number of both and there isn't really much of a difference. The 460 might have a better RF rejection, but maybe I'm just imagining that. Both are excellent microphones.
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The C1000 is awfully big and heavy to use as a dialog microphone. Pity the poor boom operator who has to swing it!
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #4
Major Player

AKG C1000 - yuk
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

hi,

thanks for the replies, I never really saw the AKG1000c , so I really cannot give a remark to what is said above. but hearing from you guys I better stay away from it. the thing is that I am not planning to put it on a boompole. for that I have my NTG3, I am thinking more about a mic to put on a stand, to record ambient, who can function as a backup for dialog, maybe record naturesounds etc...so what would be the mic to buy?

greetz
Terwingen Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #6
Major Player

I'd get a hypercardiod AKG blueline thingy. Is it called a se300 with the ck 93 head? I think so. I forget these darn numbers as I get to use them more and prep them less.

It's the one we all agree is the best value hyper out there. It's small and cheap and sounds great. You can use it for everything on a pole or on a table stand. Get two and do stereo crossed pair recordings. Use it for v/o close up to add in the proximity effect to warm up the sound. Or use it in/out and pole mount or hand held with a foam gag. Great mic, I must get one day.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Get the Audio Technica BP4025.

Here's what I got with it.

http://idisk.mac.com/tyreeford-Public/ambi08.wav

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio