Azden SGM-1X mic and TRV27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2004, 03:58 PM   #1
Tourist

Azden SGM-1X mic and TRV27

I'm looking for a shotgun mike for my Sony TRV27. Anyone had experience with the Azden and this camera?
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Tony

What are you going to be using the mic for? Will the mic be camera mounted?

Generally the Azden isn't thought of as the best mic on the market but you really have a limited choice if you want to keep things simple.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=238826&is=REG

Although the TRV27 will handle the mic inputs quite easily, a 12" (11.8") mic is a whole lot longer than the camera. The 1X has a male XLR output so that makes the total length to over 14" when you have the female XLR jacked into the mic.

The simplest input device would be a 1/8" stereo (right angled) to female XLR. The female XLR plugs into the mic and the 1/8" jack into your camera. The reasoning for the right angled connector is the potential mess that will occur should you bang or snag a straight connected that is jacked into your fragile mic in recepticle.
This adapter is $9.50 from the US or $16 from Toronto

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=158476&is=REG

Now if you do want the camera and the mic together we can easily solve that one for $13 US

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=131401&is=REG

if you want the best then this one, but it's $50 US
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=194070&is=REG

As I said , your choice in mics is limited without a special power supply. You'll have to depend on batteries. The Azden SGM1X operates on a single AA cell as does the Audio Technica 835 and AT897. The sennheiser ME66 does as well but it's really quite expensive.

The Azden will work and has a usable shock mount. Attach the camera to the L Bracket , mount the shock mount andf mic to the shoe on the bracket and plug the cable from the mic to the camera. Without the bracket and grip the mic would be in the way as well as in the picture.

Smaller options include the Apex 191 which is approx $100 from Long and McQuade. You should have one in Victoria or Vancouver (I can't remember which is closest or for that matter connected)

I have a TRV20 as well as a modified VX2000. The audio for the TRV20 and 27 should be similar. I was able to run all m,anner of battery operated mics into the camera using only the adapter cable that i linked for you.

If you do deal with the US, then get all the goodies on one shipment and select UPS expedited. That includes brokerage

If you have any questions email me at bbeasleigh at rogers dotcom.

If size is no problem than one of the best deals is the Rode NT3

At any rate the Azden 1X, the bracket, the adapter cable will be less than $275 (canadian) with shipping.

Looking at some Canadian suppliers the bloody 1X is $320 , the cable 16 and that's before shipping and not including the bracket.
Even ground in Canada is around $20.

It is possible to record with higher quality audio but that'll cost a few $ more.
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Tourist

Bryan,

I plan to do some simple documentary filming. I want to get the best sound quality I can with this camera so I'd like to get a reasonably good mic and go through an XLR adapter to the camera.

The ME64 sounds like a good bet. Good quality and a not-bad price.

Ultimately I would like to upgrade the camera but that's a few pay cheques away.

Tony
Old April 28th, 2004, 10:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Tony
You don''t need anything more than an adapter cable now.

What you don't need is an 1X (JMHO)

Do you want the Me64 because Ron Dexter say's it's the greatest? The problem with the ME series is the initial cost of the K6. They're not bad but there not the only game in town. Their strong suite is their high output and the fact that you can build on the K6 module. If you buy an ME64 now you can always get a ME66 short shotgun later.

Will you be moving to a camera with XLRs built in or staying with a prosumer with an 1/8 stereo input (GL2,VX2100)? If so there is another avenue, the Beach Tek DXA-8 (do a search). With phantom, limiters and preamplification, your choices increase. many

Will this mic be camera mounted? If not the Rode mic I mentioned has much better sound than the ME64 (JMO)

There is also the question of whether or not you want to buy in Canada or not.

Read this link on mic patterns
http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?LookupId=/xml/feature/2003/rose0203

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio