Cheap Sony Wireless lav at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1
New Boot

Cheap Sony Wireless lav

Ok, well-informed audio-for-video friends, please tell me exactly how bad it would be if I purchased Sony's very, very low-end wireless lavalier mic system ($140) for my trv-950. I realize there's no xlr-connection, but then my camcorder only has mini input anyway. So, apart from that, what are the other offenses of this unit?

I just cannot afford the $400+ for more substantial gear right now, but want to know if it would be a COMPLETE waste of my time to buy this cheap wireless in the meantime.

Any opinions and advice welcome. Thanks.
Maureen Futtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2

At that price point, spend a couple bucks more and check out the Audio Technica 88. Better wireless, options for better mics, and awesome sound. Distance is about the same between the two, don't try for more than a couple dozen feet. AT has a headphone monitor on the receiver too. Major Hollywood films actually use these as disposables.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #3
Machinist Mate

Well, I wasn't exactly impressed with the AT system when I was using it, but at close ranges it was OK...and it is true you can plug in a better lav into the transmitter. As for monitoring, that's a handy feature, although I prefer taking it out of the camera, under the premise that it will give me a closer idea of what's actually going down on the tape (and if the cable from the receiver is actually connected solidly to the camcorder). It would be great if they would give you a demo/trial run of each system before you make up your mind. Or at least return privileges if not satisfied.

Actually, I attempted to shoot with the AT, Azden, not to mention Nady, Telex, Samson and even Shure VHF systems before I raised the flag of surrender and got the Sennheiser (UHF) Evo kit. No radio dropouts, ever. After all the money I parted with for the earlier attempts, the $400++ for the Senn was a relative bargain...since I shoot every week in some situations where there is no second chance. But your mileage may vary, and you may find this cheaper system adequate for your needs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio