Need help making an audio equipment decision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help making an audio equipment decision

I'm trying to decide between buying a Sennheiser G2 ENG or Sony UWP-C1 and a Beachtek DXA-4P.

The Beachtek and the Sony system cost about the same as the G2 ENG. Although BH just spontaneously ended their $100 gift card offer for the Sony as I was writing this....much to my dismay.

So my question is, if you had to decide, what would you get? Would you hold out for the G2 100 ENG (with that nice XLR plugin wireless transmitter) or buy a beachtek and the sony system?

Thanks for your advice...

Sorry, I just realized this should probably be posted in the "now hear this forum" although I am purchasing this equipment for the GL2.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #2

For my bang, I'd go with the Sony/Beachtek, only because I know those tools pretty well. The G2, I know nothing first-hand about...
The Beachtek is tops in it's price range/category, and the Sony is quite nice too. On the other side of that, I'm loving the Audio Technica U100 series with the 899 mic, too. That's what we're touring with right now, and showing on this VASST tour event. Tough little SOB, it's impressive the abuse this thing can take. Has a Bauer mount available as well.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #3
Wrangler

John, if you decide to go the Sony/Beachtek route, I'm selling my Beachtek DXA-4P.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up Michael, but if I go sony, I'm gonna use the gift certificate to buy the beachtek.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #5
Major Player

its quet idiotic to buy adaptor without phantom power , if you will deside to place powered mike on your camera you would need another box
dxc-6 or 8 is much better option
for what kind of wierless to choos, both of them are sucks
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle : On the other side of that, I'm loving the Audio Technica U100 series with the 899 mic, too. That's what we're touring with right now, and showing on this VASST tour event. Tough little SOB, it's impressive the abuse this thing can take. Has a Bauer mount available as well. -->>>

sounds like a great setup. i've got the wired 899, but want to go wireless. is there anyway i can make it work with u100 components? if so, what kind of adaptor, and what additional equipment would i need?

thanks,
phb
Paul Bravmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 09:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Just my thoughts, I'm in the same boat, trying to decide on a wireless setup. I was really sold on the G2 system, the XLR transmitter is a great addition to the ENG kit. I found the system to be about $550 or so whenever they start shipping.

But now I figure, if I'm going to spend at least $500 on a single wireless setup, I want a true diversity system. Not that the G2 would give me drop outs at any of my gigs, but the potential is there, at least more than a true diversity system. I really just want to get a good sound that's reliable, so I'm really leaning towards an AT system. An AT XLR transmitter seems to be a couple/few hundred bucks unfortunately, but I could live without it for a little while. I'm shooting on a GL2, so a Beachtek adaptor would be really nice, but that's gonna have to wait a while, too. It certainly takes money to make money...
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:09 PM   #8
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Oleg Kaizerman : its quet idiotic to buy adaptor without phantom power , if you will deside to place powered mike on your camera you would need another box
dxc-6 or 8 is much better option -->>>

I agree. If you can afford the DXA-8 buy one now, you will wish you'd have done so later. http://www.dvfreelancer.com/articles/beachtekDXA-8.html
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Instead of starting a new thread, may I piggyback on this one...

<<<-- Originally posted by Paul Bravmann :

sounds like a great setup. i've got the wired 899, but want to go wireless. is there anyway i can make it work with u100 components? if so, what kind of adaptor, and what additional equipment would i need?
-->>>

I am considering finally getting the AT 899 lav and have a similar question. I would like to be able to go wireless in the future, but AT offers two different versions of the 899 -- one terminated for wired sound, another for wireless.

If I buy the wired 899 now, will I be able to go wireless in the future? If so, how difficult will it be? Will I have to go with the u100, or can I make it work with another wireless setup?
John Britt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio