Best mic system for $600 budget? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Ignacio... you should check out the 897. In my experience AT mics (starting at this price range and up... $280) have a superior price/performance ratio to any other mic. The cheap shotguns from EVERY manufacturer suck, but as you raise your budget AT gets you into a better mic quicker. (Meaning that a $500 AT mic outperforms everybody else's offerings in that price range.) It isn't until you clear the $1K price point that AT is left behind again.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:39 AM   #17
Trustee

I do like the AKG C480b and cardioid CK61 capsule, but that combo is nearly $800. So far I haven't been pleased with my CK63 capsule, but I haven't used it enough to judge it fully.
I definitely think the AT3031 kills the C1000 in every possible way, except battery power of course. If I have to run on battery, then the ATM33a, or Rode NT3 or stereo NT4 kills the C1000.
I agree with Matt, you should try some of AT's new mid-priced models like the AT897, 898, 899, 3031 and 3035. They are excellent performers.
AT's more expensive mics like the 835ST, 4073a, 4052a, 4053a and 4050 are also excellent.
Older models that I think work well for their specific tasks are the AT804, ATM10a, ATM31a, AT825, AT873r, AT803b, and AT851a.
Certainly the Pro, ATR, and Midnight Blues lines from AT are well below pro standards and I'd avoid them if you have more money available.
The older shotguns AT835b and AT815b (and the "a" models before them) weren't very good if you needed high output or were using them in reverberent spaces.
The only benefit of the Senn K6/ME66 is the ability to give high gain in quiet environments when you must run on internal battery. Otherwise the AT4073a is a far superior mic when phantom power is available. I do like the ME64 capsule that I recently got. I think it will be a helpful addition for dialogue but not music and I keep my ME66 for those occasions when it is the right tool for the job.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:56 AM   #18
Contributor

> I agree with Matt, you should try some of AT's new mid-priced
> models like the AT897, 898, 899, 3031 and 3035. They are
> excellent performers.

Thank You. I will when I can. For some reason I have only tried the cheapest ones. AT is not seen much in this market expept for those.

It may also be that I am a bit spoiled by the Senn. ME66. I kept hearing this strange but subtle distortion in the high-mids with the AT... very subtle but distracting. I get far better results with my Sony wireless lav! Weird.

What I like about the C1000 is that it's so inexpensive... but then again I have not compared it to those ATs.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM   #19
Trustee

I've heard that it's hard to get AT in alot of places, which is a shame.
Many of the German mics are more expensive here in the States than they are elsewhere. The C1000 can be found for equal price to the AT3031 here, but you really have to dig for a bargain or buy a two-pack. Even then the AKG is usually a few dollars more unless you have to add a phantom supply for the 3031.
Are the Rode mics easily available there? They are great performers for the price too.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:16 AM   #20
Contributor

Hmm I tried a Rode... a mono large diaphragm one for LF percussion, and I ended up liking the C3000 more, but it was quite good especially considering the price. Then I tried a stereo Rode with small diaphragms for cymbals, and I preferred a pair of 460/UL61, but the Rode was also less expensive and simpler to mount... I would also say it was in the "good performer" category.

My latest favorite novelty is the Blue Baby.

The problem is I'm so spoiled by the pair of U47 and the Brauner...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio