How can I remove WIND noise from an interview? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #1
Major Player

How can I remove WIND noise from an interview?

I got some good outdoor footage today of an interview but it was a windy day and I now have some wind noise in the audio.

Is there a way to remove to the wind?

John
Old March 5th, 2005, 02:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You could remove some (but not all) of it through equalization. You want to remove the frequencies lower than voice (voice is somewhere around 80-120hz depending on the speaker). Make the EQ as sharp as possible by setting the Q value as high as possible and stacking filters if it isn't sharp enough. Change the cutoff frequency until you hear the human voice get affected, and then back off.

The relevant filters can be called:
graphic EQ
highpass

parametric EQ
linear EQ (in the case of Waves plug-ins; this one should give you the best quality; waves' linear EQ filter is a fancier parametric EQ which cuts off frequencies much sharper with less distortion)

The last two kinds of EQ filters should give you the best results. If you do not have a parametric EQ filter, then stack EQ filters.

2- Reshoot with a good windscreen. Foam windscreens are not that great.

There are also other ways of avoiding wind noise, just putting the mic somewhere where there isn't much wind (i.e. behind something that blocks wind, like a building or someone's body). Less directional mics will also have less problems with wind noise, although that's likely not that great a solution.

3- If certain syllables are really bad, you can replace parts of words. See Jay Rose's book Audio Postproduction for Digital Video (see dplay.com on how to get it for $30). This probably isn't worth your time.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you!

the Eq tricked worked!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio