Sony ECM-678 Short Shot-gun mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 3rd, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1
Major Player

Sony ECM-678 Short Shot-gun mic

Does anyone have any experience of the Sony ECM-678? How does it compare with the well-established Sennheiser, AT etc? I see B&H sell it for $600 (+ tax, +P&P?), whilst Creative Video in the UK are charging £500 (+VAT + P&P). That makes it quite a lot more than, say, the ME66 + K6 or the AT897.

I tried a search of this forum for "ECM-678" but it didn't find anything.

Cheers
Old March 6th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Anyone?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #3
Major Player

There are probably a couple guys on RAMPS who can help you... I've seen mention of Sony shotguns there once or twice and the talk about them was good... it just wasn't anything all that great to make others bail on the industry standards which are well-established.

Hardly anybody uses Sony mics and that's what hurts them the most. Unless somebody can show me why I should set my 4073a aside to try something new... especially from Sony... I'm not gonna' do it.

That's not to say that it isn't a decent mic... it's just that mics aren't what Sony is known for. Headsets? Yes. Cameras? Yes. Recording and display gear of ALL kinds? Yes... Mics? No.

The other thing is that any professional I know who is going to dump $600 on a mic wants it to be a TRUE condenser... not an electret.

Without having a Sony at my disposal I couldn't say for certain, but I'm confident enough that I'd bet the price of a 4073a and tell you (as long as you have phantom power available) that the 4073a will SMOKE the Sony mic in every way... and for $50 to $70 less cash up front...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio