HD SDI audio embedder - why so expensive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD SDI audio embedder - why so expensive?

Why is everything SDI-related so darned expensive?

I'm playing with a computer-based capture system for the HD-SDI output of my JVC GY-HD250. Two channels of audio are embedded out of the camera and I'd like to embed another two channels into the SDI stream before capture to streamline the editing process by not having to manually sync the extra two channels in the editor. Seems like a good idea, but audio embedders are pricey. I haven't found anything under $1000.

So, the question becomes, is there anything out there that comes in closer to the $500 price point? And if not, why? What makes SDI hardwae so freaking expensive?

Happy New Year!
Chad Haufschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Major Player

You're asking for a fairly esoteric device.

Sony or Panasonic sell a zillion consumer products a year. They also sell a good amount of industrial and broadcast product.

But the companies that sell these widgets just don't sell a lot of 'em--relatively speaking. So they have comparatively high R&D costs.

Plus, there is the 'broadcast' tax--anytime you use that word, add 50% to the total!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio