Rycote Invision Video - Mini Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Can you fit washers to tighten on?

Cheers.
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Probably on the main one that slips...
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Chad,

I occasionally had that problem with the NTG-3 on my EX3, at the start. As you know the all metal bodied NTG-3 is a fairly heavy mic for it's size/length. I've just got used to tightening the Invision Video assembly with a bit more force and it's rarely an issue. In fact I like it this way - if the mic gets knocked during run-n-gun or carrying the cam around I know it will "give" (at least in one direction, horizontal) and so lessen the risk of damage to the mic.

However, Allan's idea is a good one. Just had a quick look at the assembly and I reckon there is about 1, maybe 2mm extra thread length available on the two main adjusting screws which should allow the addition/insertion of "high grip washers" on the touching surfaces to reduce this "slippage", if needed. As you know, the whole thing can be taken apart with ease so it should not be too much trouble to add these as a DIY retrofit.

As to what these high grip washers should be made of/where you would get them I don't know what to suggest...anyone got any ideas? Maybe some kind of fiber washer?

Not withstanding that, I suggest you contact Rycote directly with you observations/concerns. I've found them to be very, very responsive to customer feedback.

EDIT: Also, in answer to your question "Perhaps there is another way to configure it?" - On my Invision Video there are TWO positions for the bolt hole, one at the back near the clip and one under the Lyre suspension. Maybe switching the bolt position will help. I originally used the one at the back (see photos in my mini review) but have now switched to the "under Lyre" pivot point. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; December 16th, 2010 at 04:27 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Hi again Chad. I contacted Rycote about your concerns and this is the reply from Simon Davies which he's happy for me to share with everyone - direct quote pasted below.

Within the Universal Camera Kit there is a quick & easy solution to the issue of rotation of the main cradle on the InVision Video. The bolt which passes through the bar is a Metric M6 thread, and as you've pointed out can be position forward or back depending on the weight distribution required. The lever ratchet arm (the part with the Orange button) used on the "boom swivel" fits the M6 thread. If you remove the M6 thumb wheel from the bottom of the InVision Video, and replace it with the lever that will cure the issue of heavy mics loosening the thumb wheel. We originally design it with thumb wheels rather than levers or knobs to allow maximum rotation & therefore flexibility. Here's a link to the Boom Swivel image on our Flickr site:

Rycote Universal Camera Kit - boom swivel | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The other thumb wheel is a slightly more difficult issue that we've not had before. The thread on the brass shoe is 3/8" BSW, and we don't have a lever or knob with a 3/8" insert. However, I've tried the mount here now with a fibre washer the same we use on the top of our boom poles, and this does add some grip over the thumb wheel alone. I've attached a shot of the set up.... the lever + nylon washer on the left, and the pink washer on the right. It would be great to hear the general feedback, so please feel free to share this to the forum if you'd like.

[End of quote]

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Rycote Invision Video - Mini Review-rycotepicture.jpeg  
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #20
Major Player

Thanks Andy!

I will check this method out. But when you say "Fiber" washer, what is the fiber? The pink washer looks like rubber. Would that work? I have some rubber I could cut out, or I can go down the street to the hardware store and get something. Like I said the part that slips the most is the part that in the photo above has the pink washer and brass bolt.

Thanks.
Old December 16th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #21
Inner Circle

I think (from my many happy times of working in the good ol' USA) you guys call it fiber? I think we tend to spell it fibre. But both spellings are correct and often interchanged (according to a quick web search I just did). Basically, I was referring to a fibrous (rough textured) washer that will partly compress under pressure and provide more friction to movement. Typically these are made from some kind of polymer. Does that description help?

Rubber or a rubber 'O' ring should work pretty well if you have something you could try easily to hand, I imagine. (We won't get into US versus UK various meanings of the word rubber!)
Old December 16th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #22
Major Player

Yes "Rubber" has multiple meanings here too.....

I'll hit up the hardware "shop" (as you say in jolly old England) and see what they have for me.
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Thanks Andy!

I will check this method out. But when you say "Fiber" washer, what is the fiber? The pink washer looks like rubber.
A fibre washer is a thin washer made from a stiff fabric sort of material. It is thin, compresses very slightly and gives good grip.

It is not like a rubber or polymer washer and made from a natural material.
Old December 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
Yes "Rubber" has multiple meanings here too.....
In England a rubber is used for erasing mistakes made by a pencil - you often find a small one on the top of pencils.

In the USA you have your rubber on another straight object I think. ;-D
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #25
Major Player

Well I went with the rubber washer, and it seem to have given me more grip. The fiber ones seemed too stiff. I'll live with this a while and see how it goes. Next thing is to find out how to counter the front heavy drupe of the mic.
Attached Thumbnails
Rycote Invision Video - Mini Review-invision_rubberwasher.jpg   Rycote Invision Video - Mini Review-invision_frontdrupe.jpg  

Old January 24th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #26
Major Player

I have a mini to XLR mogami 2330 cable that fit the mic clip (albeit very tight) and after putting it on and taking it off a few times, the mic clip just snapped off. It's not a huge deal but if anyone from Rycote is reading this, I hope they make a more flexible mic clip.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
I have a mini to XLR mogami 2330 cable that fit the mic clip (albeit very tight) and after putting it on and taking it off a few times, the mic clip just snapped off. It's not a huge deal but if anyone from Rycote is reading this, I hope they make a more flexible mic clip.
Rycote clips are very good - but I think the video mount may be different from the rest as the clip on this one is part of the base.

Actually thick cables are very bad as they tend to transmit handling noise direct to the mic. bypassing the shockmount.

I always use a thin and flexible cable (Rycote S-series XLR tail in my case) from the mic. through the clip and only use another cable after that point.

I think it's more you using an inappropriate cable rather than the clip and, personally, I would change the cable to a thinner and more flexible one (even if you use the Mogami after this point).

But Rycote to have absolutely superb after-sales and customer service and I am sure they will see your post.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #28
Inner Circle

And just to add to John's response I've heard today that Rycote will VERY soon (next week!) be releasing a small attachment which enables thicker cables to be clipped to the Invision Video Mount, should you wish to go that route, having taken on board John's comments about sound transmission etc. The CAD picture below was sent to me by Simon at Rycote and attached here - see the new clip made from Hytrel on the right hand side.

These clips will be available to any existing owners that wish to have them from early February - just get in touch with Rycote. It will also be part of the standard kit from then onwards too.
Attached Thumbnails
Rycote Invision Video - Mini Review-invision-video-new-cable-clip-attachment.png  
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #29
Major Player

I contacted Rycote as soon as I saw the post and let them have the link so they could see.

I have just received a reply:-

Quote:
You'll be glad to hear - we've got a retro-fit cable clamp made from Hytrel for the InVision Video arriving later this week. The first off-tool parts are due to arrive here from our injection moulders on Friday, so we'll be updating production as soon as they arrive, and be able to send replacements out free of charge in early February.
Andy has already posted the picture, so I won't duplicate it. But Rycote says to contact them direct and they will post you out a replacement new-type clip as soon as they are ready.

Rycote are one of the best when it comes to responding to customers and they obviously had this one sorted already.
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #30
Major Player

Rycote Open Day

Rycote's latest Open Day is tomorrow (27th Jan.)

I will be going over to network with sound recordists and see the latest stuff.

Are you going Andy? If so please make yourself known to me.

If anyone has any point they would like me to take up with Rycote in person please give me a shout pronto.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio