DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Black deadcat? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/488443-black-deadcat.html)

Micky Hulse December 4th, 2010 10:12 PM

Black deadcat?

Hi,

Has anyone ever seen a black deadcat for sale?

I currently have a white/gray deadcat and it sticks out like a soar thumb. People are always making jokes about it. Police K-9's want to chew on it. Drunk people want to touch it. Really, it is just an all round eyesoar!

Linkage?

Thanks!
Micky

Peter Damo December 4th, 2010 10:17 PM

Your lucky Micky, mine's pink!

Micky Hulse December 4th, 2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Damo (Post 1595008)

LOL! Really??? :D

Heck, I guess if you are going to stand out, you might as well do it in style! :)

Chuck Fadely December 4th, 2010 10:31 PM

Windtech (Olsen Audio) makes black muffs that go over the foam windscreens. I like them a lot. Helpful people, too.

Micky Hulse December 4th, 2010 10:38 PM

Hi Chuck! Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely (Post 1595014)
Windtech (Olsen Audio) makes black muffs that go over the foam windscreens. I like them a lot. Helpful people, too.

Ah, nice!

Just checked out the WindTech site... Looks like B&H is a dealer:

mic-muff

How did I miss that! I guess I was only searching for "deadcat" instead of "muff".

My dreams of being totally inconspicuous may just come true with one of these black muffs!

Good price too!

Many thanks! Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Micky

Allan Black December 4th, 2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Damo (Post 1595008)

Do you meet many women Peter.

Cheers.

Gareth Watkins December 5th, 2010 04:00 AM

I have one of these and it's black
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292338-REG/Lightwave_EQ105.htmlcheers
Gareth

Brian P. Reynolds December 5th, 2010 04:20 AM

Shooting a pre-school childrens show segments eyes, ears and a tail were sewn to a 416 wind shield fluffy cover. The children were happy to chat along to that animal.

Mike Beckett December 5th, 2010 05:29 AM

I would recommend the new Rycote universal camera kit: Universal Camera Kit » Rycote

Or just the component parts of the mini windscreen with wind jammer if you don't need all the other goodies: Miniscreen™ » Rycote

The windjammer furry cover is black, and is quite anonymous.

Andy Wilkinson December 5th, 2010 05:36 AM

"and is quite anonymous"....until you sew on some eyes and ears!

Joking aside, I thought that was a really great idea for any film work with young children.

Bruce Foreman December 5th, 2010 11:32 PM

Also check out TheWindCutter.com, Professional Microphone Windscreens

Their windmuffs come in several grades, I purchase their best, the "Stormchaser". Color of this model is black, the fur is denser and longer than their other models. Cost is a tad higher of course but since I cannot control how strong the wind is I may have to work in, I choose the best they have.

I inquired by email if they had a model for the ZoomH1 yet (I have their "Stormchaser" for the H2 and find it extremely effective in wind) and they didn't; they asked if I would send them measurements from mine. I did and they made up one for me, I tested it and offered suggestions which they implemented and sent me a "prototype" to try out.

That one did better but I still felt something could be improved (the built in mics on the ZoomH1 are incredibly sensitive to wind!) and they had their design engineer call me. We discussed the design and he had an idea for me to try, I did, and based on the results of that test I received a third "prototype" to try day before Thanksgiving. I sent them my conclusions and comments by email yesterday. (I think they have a winner).

My point to all this is that this company is incredibly eager to provide the best possible products, they have been amazingly open minded in accepting my comments and in implementing suggestions. So for any microphone or audio recorder I have, you can bet they have my business.

Micky Hulse December 6th, 2010 12:10 PM

Hi all! Many thanks for the replies and links, I really appreciate the help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds (Post 1595068)
Shooting a pre-school childrens show segments eyes, ears and a tail were sewn to a 416 wind shield fluffy cover. The children were happy to chat along to that animal.

Oh, what a great idea! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1595077)
I would recommend the new Rycote universal camera kit: Universal Camera Kit » Rycote

Or just the component parts of the mini windscreen with wind jammer if you don't need all the other goodies: Miniscreen™ » Rycote

The windjammer furry cover is black, and is quite anonymous.

Ooooh, very nice. That Miniscreen looks cool and the kit looks even better!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/668031-REG/Rycote_116002_InVision_Universal_Camera_Kit.html is not a bad price for all the goodies that come with the kit.

Thanks for linkage. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1595331)

Oooh, these look good also!

Quote:

Their windmuffs come in several grades, I purchase their best, the "Stormchaser". Color of this model is black, the fur is denser and longer than their other models. Cost is a tad higher of course but since I cannot control how strong the wind is I may have to work in, I choose the best they have.

Prices look good!

I will have to figure out what Stormchaser model will fit on my mic: Rode NTG-1 Condenser Shotgun Microphone.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367746-REG/Rode_NTG_1.html
(FYI, the Wind-Tech folks said their MM-4 model will fit the NTG-1.)

Quote:

...<snip>... My point to all this is that this company is incredibly eager to provide the best possible products, they have been amazingly open minded in accepting my comments and in implementing suggestions. So for any microphone or audio recorder I have, you can bet they have my business.

Wow! That is really cool that they custom built a windscreen for you! Sounds like excellent customer service. :)

So many options to choose from!

Thanks a billion to all you folks for helping me out, I greatly appreciate the professional assistance. :)

Have an excellent day all!

Cheers,
Micky

Guy Cochran December 6th, 2010 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
K-TEK offers some nice slip on fuzzys that are black and fit the NTG-1
K-Tek | Boom Poles, Microphone and Camera Accessories

The NTG-1 isn't on their size chart, but it would be a small, the model is Z-FSO-S

For the Zoom H1, a topper is a must if you're going to use the on board mics.
K-TEK has new one, it the KZX1 pictured below. It's better than the foam one included in the accessory kit.

How 'bout blue or red from redheadwindscreens.com

You're right about dogs wanting to chew on 'em though. Here's my puppy at 01:48 about to chomp on that "dead cat".

Colin McDonald December 6th, 2010 04:06 PM

That first one looks like a scene from from the Muppet Show.

Thanks for all the info guys, good to know.
(EDIT: previous attempt at humour edited as this is a family show)

Mike Beckett December 7th, 2010 07:26 AM

I have to admit, I don't rate Rode's "deadcat" and similar devices very highly for wind protection. I used a deadcat and a dead kitten on various mics and wasn't impressed. Only the dead wombat over their blimp system was any good!

I don't want to sound too much like John Willett (I'm far less qualified than he is), but those Rycote softies, windjammers etc. have a lot of science in them, there's more to wind jamming than just making a fuzzy sock or ball.