Black deadcat? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Black deadcat?

Hi,

Has anyone ever seen a black deadcat for sale?

I currently have a white/gray deadcat and it sticks out like a soar thumb. People are always making jokes about it. Police K-9's want to chew on it. Drunk people want to touch it. Really, it is just an all round eyesoar!

Linkage?

Thanks!
Micky
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Your lucky Micky, mine's pink!
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Damo View Post
LOL! Really??? :D

Heck, I guess if you are going to stand out, you might as well do it in style! :)
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Windtech (Olsen Audio) makes black muffs that go over the foam windscreens. I like them a lot. Helpful people, too.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Chuck! Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely View Post
Windtech (Olsen Audio) makes black muffs that go over the foam windscreens. I like them a lot. Helpful people, too.
Ah, nice!

Just checked out the WindTech site... Looks like B&H is a dealer:

mic-muff

How did I miss that! I guess I was only searching for "deadcat" instead of "muff".

My dreams of being totally inconspicuous may just come true with one of these black muffs!

Good price too!

Many thanks! Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Micky
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Damo View Post
Do you meet many women Peter.

Cheers.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #7
Major Player

I have one of these and it's black
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292338-REG/Lightwave_EQ105.htmlcheers
Gareth
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #8
Major Player

Shooting a pre-school childrens show segments eyes, ears and a tail were sewn to a 416 wind shield fluffy cover. The children were happy to chat along to that animal.
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Trustee

I would recommend the new Rycote universal camera kit: Universal Camera Kit » Rycote

Or just the component parts of the mini windscreen with wind jammer if you don't need all the other goodies: Miniscreen™ » Rycote

The windjammer furry cover is black, and is quite anonymous.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #10
Inner Circle

"and is quite anonymous"....until you sew on some eyes and ears!

Joking aside, I thought that was a really great idea for any film work with young children.
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Trustee

Also check out TheWindCutter.com, Professional Microphone Windscreens

Their windmuffs come in several grades, I purchase their best, the "Stormchaser". Color of this model is black, the fur is denser and longer than their other models. Cost is a tad higher of course but since I cannot control how strong the wind is I may have to work in, I choose the best they have.

I inquired by email if they had a model for the ZoomH1 yet (I have their "Stormchaser" for the H2 and find it extremely effective in wind) and they didn't; they asked if I would send them measurements from mine. I did and they made up one for me, I tested it and offered suggestions which they implemented and sent me a "prototype" to try out.

That one did better but I still felt something could be improved (the built in mics on the ZoomH1 are incredibly sensitive to wind!) and they had their design engineer call me. We discussed the design and he had an idea for me to try, I did, and based on the results of that test I received a third "prototype" to try day before Thanksgiving. I sent them my conclusions and comments by email yesterday. (I think they have a winner).

My point to all this is that this company is incredibly eager to provide the best possible products, they have been amazingly open minded in accepting my comments and in implementing suggestions. So for any microphone or audio recorder I have, you can bet they have my business.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi all! Many thanks for the replies and links, I really appreciate the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P. Reynolds View Post
Shooting a pre-school childrens show segments eyes, ears and a tail were sewn to a 416 wind shield fluffy cover. The children were happy to chat along to that animal.
Oh, what a great idea! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I would recommend the new Rycote universal camera kit: Universal Camera Kit » Rycote

Or just the component parts of the mini windscreen with wind jammer if you don't need all the other goodies: Miniscreen™ » Rycote

The windjammer furry cover is black, and is quite anonymous.
Ooooh, very nice. That Miniscreen looks cool and the kit looks even better!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/668031-REG/Rycote_116002_InVision_Universal_Camera_Kit.html is not a bad price for all the goodies that come with the kit.

Thanks for linkage. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Oooh, these look good also!

Quote:
Their windmuffs come in several grades, I purchase their best, the "Stormchaser". Color of this model is black, the fur is denser and longer than their other models. Cost is a tad higher of course but since I cannot control how strong the wind is I may have to work in, I choose the best they have.
Prices look good!

I will have to figure out what Stormchaser model will fit on my mic: Rode NTG-1 Condenser Shotgun Microphone.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367746-REG/Rode_NTG_1.html
(FYI, the Wind-Tech folks said their MM-4 model will fit the NTG-1.)

Quote:
...<snip>... My point to all this is that this company is incredibly eager to provide the best possible products, they have been amazingly open minded in accepting my comments and in implementing suggestions. So for any microphone or audio recorder I have, you can bet they have my business.
Wow! That is really cool that they custom built a windscreen for you! Sounds like excellent customer service. :)

So many options to choose from!

Thanks a billion to all you folks for helping me out, I greatly appreciate the professional assistance. :)

Have an excellent day all!

Cheers,
Micky
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #13
DVCreators.Net

K-TEK offers some nice slip on fuzzys that are black and fit the NTG-1
K-Tek | Boom Poles, Microphone and Camera Accessories

The NTG-1 isn't on their size chart, but it would be a small, the model is Z-FSO-S

For the Zoom H1, a topper is a must if you're going to use the on board mics.
K-TEK has new one, it the KZX1 pictured below. It's better than the foam one included in the accessory kit.

How 'bout blue or red from redheadwindscreens.com

You're right about dogs wanting to chew on 'em though. Here's my puppy at 01:48 about to chomp on that "dead cat".

Attached Thumbnails
Black deadcat?-kzx1.jpg  
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Trustee

That first one looks like a scene from from the Muppet Show.

Thanks for all the info guys, good to know.
(EDIT: previous attempt at humour edited as this is a family show)

Last edited by Colin McDonald; December 7th, 2010 at 02:54 AM. Reason: A double entendre too far.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #15
Trustee

I have to admit, I don't rate Rode's "deadcat" and similar devices very highly for wind protection. I used a deadcat and a dead kitten on various mics and wasn't impressed. Only the dead wombat over their blimp system was any good!

I don't want to sound too much like John Willett (I'm far less qualified than he is), but those Rycote softies, windjammers etc. have a lot of science in them, there's more to wind jamming than just making a fuzzy sock or ball.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio