Black deadcat? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Inner Circle

That first one looks like a scene from from the Muppet Show.
Yeah, a new character with an Afro.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #17
Trustee

With all this cold weather we're having in Scotland Mike, I think I'll be having another use for the furry bit of my Rode Blimp, as an accessory for my kilt. The Rode DeadCat I had already is not suitable for me, needless to say.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:26 PM   #18
Trustee

(Dreadfully off-topic...)

Colin, with the temperateures you're having, the dead kitten would probably be a more appropriate size!!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Do you meet many women Peter.

Cheers.
I didn't want to pay $40 for something I needed real quick. Its actually a doll's wig and just happen to fit. When I was in India, it didn't raise an eyebrow. I will look into a replacement though for the low-key local events : )

PS. Apparently pink ties are sign of someone who fantasizes. Not sure about pink mic muffs though.
Peter Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I have to admit, I don't rate Rode's "deadcat" and similar devices very highly for wind protection. I used a deadcat and a dead kitten on various mics and wasn't impressed. Only the dead wombat over their blimp system was any good!

I don't want to sound too much like John Willett (I'm far less qualified than he is), but those Rycote softies, windjammers etc. have a lot of science in them, there's more to wind jamming than just making a fuzzy sock or ball.
I'm not so sure about the science. I can say though that this doll's wig for 6 bucks works a treat. (Reminds me of Rod Stewart. Not saying that's a plus.)
Attached Thumbnails
Black deadcat?-windjammer-9530.jpg  
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Damo View Post
I'm not so sure about the science. I can say though that this doll's wig for 6 bucks works a treat. (Reminds me of Rod Stewart. Not saying that's a plus.)
It probably will work a treat at cutting wind noise - but it also looks very effective at cutting the high frequencies as well.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #22
Major Player

Ha! Awsome thread!

To everyone: Thanks so much for all the help (and the laughs)!

Guy, many thanks for posting those videos. Very informative! Every time I go out and shoot with my wireless system, I watch your video on how to set it up (I don't use it that often, and your vid helps kick the dust off of my brain cells!)

Thanks again all! This forum has been a life saver. :D

Cheers,
Micky
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Hulse View Post

I will have to figure out what Stormchaser model will fit on my mic: Rode NTG-1 Condenser Shotgun Microphone.
Send them an email asking that. I think you can search by mic name and model on their website, otherwise send inquiry to admin@thewindcutter.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Hulse View Post

Wow! That is really cool that they custom built a windscreen for you! Sounds like excellent customer service. :)
Well not really for me...For me to test for them. Once they have the "best working" prototype it will go into production for them to sell. I paid for the first prototype and I get to keep the one that works best. Fun doing this for them and by doing so I am helping other ZoomH1 owners who want to use their recorders outdoors.

But they will make up a windmuff to fit something they don't have a model in stock to fit. You email them the measurements and they go to work.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
It probably will work a treat at cutting wind noise - but it also looks very effective at cutting the high frequencies as well.
John, Do you think its time for a haircut? Or to use an audio term - trim?
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #25
Trustee

I can't tell that any I've tried have "cut" the high frequencies.

Two things help make a windmuff effective at reducing wind noise: Length of the fur and density of the fur. According to a couple of articles and reports I've read the most effective windmuff material was animal fur, especially wolf fur. Apparently the right density and length "bleeds" off wind energy without generating friction noise.

But killing "critters" so we can use their hides to make windmuffs is abhorrent so these things are made of synthetic and artificial materials. Which explains why most are not "washing machine safe".

I had to quit referring to my "Deadcat" models by brandname in front of my daughter even after I explained it was strictly a brand name, made out of artificial materials, and in no way indicative of origin.

And then my cat arched her back and hissed when I unpacked a "Stormchaser" from thewindcutter.com.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
John, Do you think its time for a haircut? Or to use an audio term - trim?
LoL

It's not only the length of the hair, it's the design and type of the individual hairs and how they are attached.
Old December 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Nobody seems to have suggested Reinhardt from Denmark. They make black softies etc and are just as good as Rycote and much better than Rodes.

. \\\ Reinhardt Microphone Windshields /// .

Quote:
PS. Apparently pink ties are sign of someone who fantasizes. Not sure about pink mic muffs though.
Pink Muffs are a fantasy of someone who ties.
Robin Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
I had to quit referring to my "Deadcat" models by brandname in front of my daughter even after I explained it was strictly a brand name, made out of artificial materials, and in no way indicative of origin.

And then my cat arched her back and hissed when I unpacked a "Stormchaser" from thewindcutter.com.
LOL! Nice! :D

Thanks for linkage Robin! I will check them out also.

This forum ROCKS!

Cheers,
Micky
Old December 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
LoL

It's not only the length of the hair, it's the design and type of the individual hairs and how they are attached.
OK I'm off to find an 'audio hair stylist' now. When will I have time to edit?? ; )
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lambert View Post
Nobody seems to have suggested Reinhardt from Denmark. They make black softies etc and are just as good as Rycote and much better than Rodes.
I'm not sure I would say they are as good as Rycote. Certainly the Softies I have seen from Reinhardt don't appear as good as the Rycote ones when I have seen them at exhibitions.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio