iPhone 4 audio jack pinout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 7th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #1
Trustee

iPhone 4 audio jack pinout

I would like to try out the Rode Videomic Pro to see if if improves the audio capture on an iPhone 4.

I have a 3.5 mm TRRS plug ready to make up an adaptor cable. Can anyone confirm that connections at the iPhone end should be like this:

Tip - not connected (left audio output)
Ring 1 - not connected (right audio output)
Ring 2 - ground
Sleeve - bridged left and right mic input

These connections would be necessary for the iPhone to be compatible with an ordinary stereo headphone jack, but what about the switch function that comes with the iPhone headphones that have a built in mic? Does that work as a push-to-short on the mic connection, and if so is there a voltage present between Ring 2 and the sleeve?

Don't want to fry anything on the phone or the VMP.

The VMP end of the cable is fine being standard unbalanced l & r connections for a mono mic via a 3.5mm line jack socket.

Anyone already tried this?

I do know that there are adaptor cables on the market but I'm an old skinflint.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: iPhone 4 audio jack pinout

Here is a link to what your after.........
Apple iPhone headphone jack adapter pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru
Brian P. Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Thanks, Brian - that's exactly what I needed!
I had worked out what it was likely to be but it's reassuring to see it confirmed.
Old May 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Trustee

Well, that turned out to be a waste of time. Made up a cable easily enough but the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to take an audio in through the mic connection while recording video. The built in mics aren't disabled when plugging in an external mic.
Old May 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Trustee

... from the folks who brought you incompatible / non-standard everything. (Is my bias showing?)
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
Well, that turned out to be a waste of time. Made up a cable easily enough but the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to take an audio in through the mic connection while recording video. The built in mics aren't disabled when plugging in an external mic.
Well it is a phone isn't it, maybe if you hire a sound recordist that will solve the problem? ;0)
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #7
Major Player

You're looking at the wrong connector. For mic in, you want the docking connector on the bottom of the iPhone. The Fostex AR-4i adds external microphones to the iPhone by this route.

And yes, it comes complete with an app for controlling levels, EQ, etc. and a headphone jack for monitoring. It actually looks like a fairly complete solution to adding external mics to an iPhone.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the heads up, Bruce. It also looks a good solution for mounting on to monopods and other camera support - certainly better than my first Heath Robinson solution. Will be interested to see what it costs when it's released in the summer.

Nice try Gary - but I could always just use a Zoom H or H4n and sync it up later. Just that even the H2 is several sizes bigger than the phone.

You gave me an amusing metal picture of a set all rigged with lights and a sound guy with all the gear and instead of a camera there's just a phone. Might just do it to annoy the DSLR fraternity :-)
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #9
Trustee

Personally I have an i-fone 4 inside a full rycote blimp to cut down the wind noise, I have then cut a small hole in the blimp so that the pictures can be recorded! ;0)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio