Yes, I am an audio amatuer! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Yes, I am an audio amatuer!

uploading...
Kat Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I am having trying to upload a clip but I am having a difficult time...It says wait while we upload, then I just had to log back in....

No, do not have two different audio tracks. I set the cam to use external mic.
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

The file size is 32.2MB which is under the required size for mov files...rrrrrrrrrr. Someone asked me if I drank, because if I didn't I might start trying to do this business!

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 180355072 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 33430193 bytes) in /export/sites/dvinfo.net/docs/forum/includes/class_core.php on line 748
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #19
Regular Crew

YouTube - Sample VO 4

please take a look and listen to this link....
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #20
Trustee

You said your mic was very close to his mouth for the VO, but it sure sounds like the internal on-camera microphone to me. It sounds like it's a few feet away from the talent.

How did you connect the 674 to your FX-1? The FX-1 doesn't have an XLR input. Did you use an adaptor? If so, did you plug into the FX-1's yellow audio/video connector? Or the plug in power mic/line connector right below it?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #21
Inner Circle

I would agree. That doesn't sound close at all.

With a close mic, you can still get room reverb, but it sounds different. You hear the initial voice clean with a delay before the 'verb. When the mic is distant, there is virtually no delay between the initial sound and the reverb.

For future reference, make sure to do a full equipment test before recording with new equipment. (I just did that yesterday for a shoot with some new gear that I'll be doing Friday, so it's fresh in my mind. I figured out which mics I'll use, approximate levels, and distance. I transferred the files to my editing system to check the whole path.) Also, make sure to monitor with headphones and listen carefully for good quality. This is tougher, since it takes experience to recognize problems.

Things to listen for are...
1) That the right mic is recording. Tap ALL of your mics to isolate them.
2) That the sound is clear, undistorted, and not clipping. (If so, turn down the gain.)
3) That there are no outside sounds, like refrigerators, heating, A/C, toilets, dogs, planes...
4) That there are no problems with plosives. "Peter picked a peck of pickles..." (If so, redirect the mic away from directly in front of the mouth and/or use a pop shield.)
5) That there are no sibilance problems. "She sells sea shells by the sea shore." (If so, consider re-positioning, though this can be solved in post.)
6) That there are no noises from the talent, such as clothes rustling or a squeaky chair.
7) That the voice is good. "Would you like some water? A lozenge?"
8) That the echo is acceptable. (If not, get the mic closer. Set up blankets, pillows, bookshelves, etc.)

The last point might be the hardest! Then again, tapping the mics might have identified the problem.
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Have to second (or third) the "Doesn't sound close" comments. It also it sounds to me like the voice is unnaturally thin - I think if the mic were sufficiently close there would be a lot more "body" to the voice.

Especially as a VO to an outdoor scene there needs to be almost no reverb or the visual image of outdoors conflicts with the audio image of indoors (but too far from the mic.)
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Trustee

That mic is NOT close. I am not hearing generalized reverb from a big room. I'm hearing a very distinct primary reflection from a hard surface. Was it recorded in a tiled bathroom?

Of course it would be a lot easier to comment on this is you would upload a file of the voice track. If you want us to analize your MIX then upload a mixed file like this. If you want us to help with a voice track, upload the voice track.

But no question... the mic is not at all close. The voice sounds thin because, I think, the speaker has a thin voice. But again, if you got a mic adequately close... especially a cardioid mic... the voice would fill out. Especially true with a cardioid, because the proximity effect boosts low frequencies.

Upload the voice track only (a .wav or .wma file) and not a video file with final audio mix, and perhaps we can offer some suggestions that will help to salvage this existing track.

NOTE: Be sure to adhere to the file size limitations shown on this website's uploads page, or your file will bounce.

Last edited by Greg Miller; May 17th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Yes - if a shotgun were within a foot or two there would be some serious bass boost/Voice of God effect - even if the voice really were thin it would sound pretty full. So it can't be close enough to bite, (unless you have a VERY SERIOUS dental problem!) Leaving aside the normal issues with a shotgun indoors what we have is apparent contradiction

Kat says that the 674 was very close.

In which case this recording couldn't made with the 674

ie some connection error must have caused the voice to have been recorded with the on camera mic instead

At least that's my 2 cents.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio