UHF or VHF? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

UHF or VHF?

I'm a little confused!

I'm based in the west of Ireland and recently bought quite a bit of equipment from the UK. One of the things I bought was the Sennheiser wireless kit (lapel mic, handheld mic with transmitter and wireless reciever)

I mainly do weddings and use the lapel mic on the groom. That always works fine. When I get to the hotel and I'm recording the speeches, I'd like to tap into the hotel's wireless frequency directly, as it would give me nice, clean audio. However, I haven't been able to do this as all the hotels I've been to have a frequency starting with 8, where as I can only enter frequencies starting with 6.

I've been told that Ireland use UHF frequencies, and that what I have is a VHF system so I can't tap into the hotel's frequency.

Is this true? The same guy also told me that he doesn't know why I got a VHF system from the UK as they also use UHF over there. He got his wireless system from the same company so I don't know why it would be any different.

Could someone please shed any light on this problem? Is it a VHF/UHF problem or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance!
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: UHF or VHF?

In order to receive (another) transmitter's signal, it must be on the exact same frequency and normally be of the same manufacturer for accurate reproduction. (companders and such) I don't know about your side of the pond, but I assume both VHF and UHF are in use. There are pros & cons to both, though frequency agile UHF systems are far more popular these days. I'm sure John can share further enlightenment on the subject from his experience from a closer location.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; May 17th, 2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: VHS= VHF: typo duh
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Rick.

From what I was told, Ireland have moved completely over to UHF, except for the emergency services who still use VHF. Apparently it's the same in the UK so I'm wondering why they would have sent me a VHF system.
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan O'Conghaile View Post
I'm a little confused!

I'm based in the west of Ireland and recently bought quite a bit of equipment from the UK. One of the things I bought was the Sennheiser wireless kit (lapel mic, handheld mic with transmitter and wireless reciever)

I mainly do weddings and use the lapel mic on the groom. That always works fine. When I get to the hotel and I'm recording the speeches, I'd like to tap into the hotel's wireless frequency directly, as it would give me nice, clean audio. However, I haven't been able to do this as all the hotels I've been to have a frequency starting with 8, where as I can only enter frequencies starting with 6.

I've been told that Ireland use UHF frequencies, and that what I have is a VHF system so I can't tap into the hotel's frequency.

Is this true? The same guy also told me that he doesn't know why I got a VHF system from the UK as they also use UHF over there. He got his wireless system from the same company so I don't know why it would be any different.

Could someone please shed any light on this problem? Is it a VHF/UHF problem or something else entirely?

Thanks in advance!
What you have is almost certainly UHF.

VHF frequencies start with a 1 or 2.

If you have a Sennheiser evolution system, then it is UHF.

You have just bought a different frequency band.

The G3 versions are A, G, GB, B, C, D and E.

In version E - the small band 863-865MHz are legal all over Europe without a licence.
Version GB - is designed for the new Ch.38 mobile frequencies (licensed) used by professionals in the UK. This is 606-648MHz and is the version that people in the UK tend to sell nowadays. You must have a licence to use it.

I am guessing most places you go will be using unlicensed frequencies in version E.

NB: The Ch.38 frequencies in version GB are only legal in the UK and not the Republic of Ireland.
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you so much for that info; that's what I needed to know.

Now just need to figure out what to do about it....
Ronan O'Conghaile is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio