DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Wireless Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/498428-wireless-mic.html)

Mike Watson July 14th, 2011 12:03 PM

Wireless Mic

I have been using two AudioTechnica U100s for years, with mixed results. The TX takes one nine volt battery and the RX takes TWO nine volt batteries. I have two of these units, so every time I do a battery swap it's costing me $12, and I'm sick of it.

I have used a Sennheiser G3 a few times with good results. about 1/4 the size of the U100, two AA's, and decent reception.

Anything else in this pricerange that I'm missing?

Warren Kawamoto July 14th, 2011 12:32 PM

Re: Wireless Mic

Before you replace what you already have, have you ever thought about using good rechargeable 9v batteries for your wireless units? I've been using these for many years now, and they work better than alkaline 9v:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/627506-REG/iPower_IP9V520_9V_Li_Polymer_520mAh_Battery.html
After a couple of gigs it will pay for itself!

David Tamés July 14th, 2011 12:37 PM

The Sony UWP-V1 is a less expensive contender but I've never used them myself.

I've been using two Sennheiser EW112 G3 systems since they first came out and I'm really happy with them in terms of wireless reception, sound quality, and battery life. Rock solid performers. I use them with both Alkaline and NiMH rechargeable batteries.

Warren makes a good point, if you can use rechargeable batteries, you can save in the long run.

Guy Cochran July 14th, 2011 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1667158)
I have been using two AudioTechnica U100s for years, with mixed results. The TX takes one nine volt battery and the RX takes TWO nine volt batteries. I have two of these units, so every time I do a battery swap it's costing me $12, and I'm sick of it.

I have used a Sennheiser G3 a few times with good results. about 1/4 the size of the U100, two AA's, and decent reception.

Anything else in this pricerange that I'm missing?

In that same price range, there's one off of the top of my head. You'll want to read a few reviews as to the performance of the Sony UWP-V6 kit. It's actually even a bit less expensive than the Sennheiser G3 EW100ENG kit. I've had people buy the Sony in our store and later return it for the Sennheiser. Some folks just love the Sony. I took it to the park and we did a quick read from 200' away. Nice and clear - the plug on TX also has a beefier mW output if I recall correctly. I was shocked at how far we got line of sight and the audio was clear as a bell with a dynamic mic attached. The lav is ok. From what I recall, one user thought that there was more of a digital sound due to the companding/expanding of the Sony. I didn't hear it in our tests:

Here is the recording - direct into the Panasonic HPX500 Sony UWP-V6 Wireless Lavalier Microphone 200' distance - YouTube

Also, if batteries are a big concern, the new Sennheiser G3 units now have charging contacts. This may be a factor if you're using the system often.

I'm also kicking around a new lightweight UHF wireless from Samson. Samson AirLine Micro Camera - Wireless System - DVeStore The only real bummer is that it is single channel (not frequency agile with 1600+ selectable frequencies like the G3). Basically when you purchase you pick N1 - N6. The transmitter and receiver are the size of a box of a matches! Dang these things are light too - even with the built-in lithium ion batteries - and at $299, you could get two sets for the price of G3.

John Willett July 14th, 2011 01:02 PM

On a recent range test in the UK by the Institute of Broadcast Sound - surprisingly the G3 came out best, beating even far more expensive kit from Lectro, Audio Ltd. and Zaxcom (and even the more expensive Sennheiser kit).

Guy Cochran July 14th, 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1667176)
On a recent range test in the UK by the Institute of Broadcast Sound - surprisingly the G3 came out best, beating even far more expensive kit from Lectro, Audio Ltd. and Zaxcom (and even the more expensive Sennheiser kit).

Interesting. Was this an informal test or something that will be published?

Also, if the test was in the UK, was the "more expensive Sennheiser kit" a Sennheiser 2000 series or 3000/5000 series?

Mike Watson July 14th, 2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1667172)
I'm also kicking around a new lightweight UHF wireless from Samson. Samson AirLine Micro Camera - Wireless System - DVeStore The only real bummer is that it is single channel (not frequency agile with 1600+ selectable frequencies like the G3). Basically when you purchase you pick N1 - N6. The transmitter and receiver are the size of a box of a matches! Dang these things are light too - even with the built-in lithium ion batteries - and at $299, you could get two sets for the price of G3.

Are the batteries removable, or is it just time to stop shooting after 6 hours?

Guy Cochran July 14th, 2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1667237)
Are the batteries removable, or is it just time to stop shooting after 6 hours?

Battery is internal and non-removable on the Samson Airline Micro wireless system. User manual states ~10 hour battery life.

There is a DC IN USB port on the bottom.
The manual says that you can use a computer to charge the unit or a cell phone charger. It does say that AC power using the included charger would charge faster than a computer.

I'm guessing that you could also use one of these optional external battery packs out in the field

If I plug the included AC charger into the Xmitter while it is on, it does indeed power off the unit. And ouch, make sure you headphones are off - you get a blast of static when the Receiver loses the Xmitter. No pilot tone argghhh.

Note that the Samson wireless does include both miniplug cable and miniplug to XLR, which tells me that they may be aiming these at higher level cameras than just the consumer models. I'm not totally sold on 'em for a pro project other than the size may be a crucial factor for certain shoots.The Sony or the Sennheiser still get my vote.

Mike Watson July 14th, 2011 06:14 PM

I bought one, it'll be here tomorrow. More details then.

John Willett July 15th, 2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1667227)
Interesting. Was this an informal test or something that will be published?

Also, if the test was in the UK, was the "more expensive Sennheiser kit" a Sennheiser 2000 series or 3000/5000 series?

It was a test done for the Institutes's training weekend and tested 15 or 20 (I think) radiomic. systems at the new UK channel 38 frequencies.

The more expensive Sennheiser was an SK 2012 I think.

Guy Cochran July 15th, 2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Watson (Post 1667258)
I bought one, it'll be here tomorrow. More details then.

That's great Mike. Looking forward to your report

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett (Post 1667345)
It was a test done for the Institutes's training weekend and tested 15 or 20 (I think) radiomic. systems at the new UK channel 38 frequencies.

The more expensive Sennheiser was an SK 2012 I think.

Ah. It makes a bit more sense now as the UK Sennheiser 2000 series transmitter is governed down.
Here in US we have the 2000 series pumping out 100mW. It's kind of hidden in the menu, but if you hold down the Up arrow when selecting RF Power it goes up another level above "High" to "Maximum". Maybe the settings on the Transmitter were set to "Low"?

Because I just did a test today with the SK2000XP Transmitter with the "Maximum setting" side by side with the SK100 G3 Transmitter. I can guarantee you that the Sennheiser US model of the 2000 series easily outperforms G3 in terms of range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Winkler (Post 1667408)
There are some additional details in this thread that John had provided over on DVx:

The $500 Wireless Question, or, "What cheap system should I get?" - Page 3

Thanks for the link Karl.

John Willett July 16th, 2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1667530)
Ah. It makes a bit more sense now as the UK Sennheiser 2000 series transmitter is governed down.
Here in US we have the 2000 series pumping out 100mW. It's kind of hidden in the menu, but if you hold down the Up arrow when selecting RF Power it goes up another level above "High" to "Maximum". Maybe the settings on the Transmitter were set to "Low"?

The SK 2012 is *not* a 2000 series transmitter - it is an older 5000 series transmitter.

The UK works to ISO specs and the maximum e.r.p.is 50mW for a pocket transmitter and the spectrum mask is a lot narrower than the one for the USA.

All the mics. in the test were to the ISO spec. and the G3 was actually the least powerful at only 30mW conducted power.

But the test also included blocking of buildings and metal buildings inside a scenery store - this is where they all fell over and the G3 lasted a bit longer than the others.

Mike Watson July 16th, 2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Cochran (Post 1667530)
That's great Mike. Looking forward to your report.

Arrived yesterday. Can't remember a time where I was so impressed with a product's form and packaging, even Apple can't outdo these guys. The USB charging thing is really slick, can charge from wall outlet or car, or laptop computer on the go. Both TX and RX are about the size of an iPod nano. The included mic is tiny, much smaller than a ECM 44B - it came with extra windscreens (which is good, I am notorious for losing them). The included case is of good quality, and really well designed with a zipper pocket to keep all those easy-to-lose-hard-to-find pieces in one place, and a separate pocket to keep the instruction manual handy.

Of course, the true test is sound quality and distance, neither of which I can attest to at this point.

More soon.

Robert Bobson September 15th, 2011 04:47 AM

Mike ~
What's your review of the Sampson that you've bought?

Mike Watson November 9th, 2011 02:56 AM

The thing is a total piece of junk, it won't hold a signal longer than about 30 seconds or farther than about 10 feet. Suffice to say I would not repeat.