DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Sticky XLR connectors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/513360-sticky-xlr-connectors.html)

Nick Mirro January 9th, 2013 11:58 PM

Sticky XLR connectors

Hi. I'm using a portable 3 channel mixer with an Audio Technica AT803 (by power module). 7 of the 8 XLR connectors in the setup are a breeze to connect/disconnect.

The only one I actually need to regularly remove and reattach is the one to the power module on my belt. My luck that one is really hard to pull out. It works fine but I am afraid of damaging the female in the module or my right hand over time.

Is there some way to reduce the friction of this connector that wouldn't be bad for the hardware? Seems like the power module is to blame.

Richard Crowley January 10th, 2013 01:14 AM

Re: Sticky XLR connectors

What brand/model XLR connector is on your power belt? For example, if it is an old-school XLR with the rubber insulator, or if the female connector on the belt is on the small size, and the male connector is on the large size, it would produce the symptoms you are reporting. I would consider replacing the power belt connector with a newer one (which you have confirmed is a better match to your cable.)

Jay Massengill January 10th, 2013 07:58 AM

Some XLR combinations can be more difficult than others. Since you can't change the power module itself, you'll need to find a different cable that is secure but smoother to disengage. The other choice is to plug in a short XLR jumper and leave that connected to the power supply, connecting and disconnecting to the jumper cable with your longer cable.

Rick Reineke January 10th, 2013 10:10 AM

Same as above. In my experience, the Neutrik connectors (at least the 3 pin female plug) seems to fit a little tighter than the same Switchcraft.

Steven Digges January 10th, 2013 10:21 AM

He is saying it is so tight it hurts his hand to pull it out. Nick, does it go in easy, but not come out easy. Is there any chance you could be missing a release button? What three channel mixer/power module are you using?

Steve

Nick Mirro January 10th, 2013 12:42 PM

Thanks for the help with this.

The cable going from the Audio Technica power module to the mixer (Azden fmx-32a) is GLS. It has a silver shiny textured surface where it joins. I am using the release switch but still there are friction scratches inside the AT power module.

The easy to remove XLR is a 2 foot pair of Kopul 2000 series going from the mixer outputs to the vidcam (XA10) inputs. Those connectors are metallic black.

Hate to replace the GLS cable since I just bought it a month ago. Oh well, I guess there is no other choice. The 15' Kopul 4000 series is a bit thinner and may be easier to handle anyway.

Is it safe to say that there is no non-conducting or interfering lubricant that can be added to the female end of the power module?

Richard Crowley January 10th, 2013 01:09 PM

You could try some medium to heavy silicone "grease". Assuming it is the outer shell that has the friction and not the pins themselves. Although I would rather replace the problem connector vs. have some dirt-attracting lubricant on it.

Nick Mirro January 10th, 2013 01:39 PM

Yeah I'm thing the same thing. Thanks for the advice! Will order the Kopul cable.