Sticky XLR connectors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 9th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sticky XLR connectors

Hi. I'm using a portable 3 channel mixer with an Audio Technica AT803 (by power module). 7 of the 8 XLR connectors in the setup are a breeze to connect/disconnect.

The only one I actually need to regularly remove and reattach is the one to the power module on my belt. My luck that one is really hard to pull out. It works fine but I am afraid of damaging the female in the module or my right hand over time.

Is there some way to reduce the friction of this connector that wouldn't be bad for the hardware? Seems like the power module is to blame.
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sticky XLR connectors

What brand/model XLR connector is on your power belt? For example, if it is an old-school XLR with the rubber insulator, or if the female connector on the belt is on the small size, and the male connector is on the large size, it would produce the symptoms you are reporting. I would consider replacing the power belt connector with a newer one (which you have confirmed is a better match to your cable.)
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Some XLR combinations can be more difficult than others. Since you can't change the power module itself, you'll need to find a different cable that is secure but smoother to disengage. The other choice is to plug in a short XLR jumper and leave that connected to the power supply, connecting and disconnecting to the jumper cable with your longer cable.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Same as above. In my experience, the Neutrik connectors (at least the 3 pin female plug) seems to fit a little tighter than the same Switchcraft.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Trustee

He is saying it is so tight it hurts his hand to pull it out. Nick, does it go in easy, but not come out easy. Is there any chance you could be missing a release button? What three channel mixer/power module are you using?

Steve
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help with this.

The cable going from the Audio Technica power module to the mixer (Azden fmx-32a) is GLS. It has a silver shiny textured surface where it joins. I am using the release switch but still there are friction scratches inside the AT power module.

The easy to remove XLR is a 2 foot pair of Kopul 2000 series going from the mixer outputs to the vidcam (XA10) inputs. Those connectors are metallic black.

Hate to replace the GLS cable since I just bought it a month ago. Oh well, I guess there is no other choice. The 15' Kopul 4000 series is a bit thinner and may be easier to handle anyway.

Is it safe to say that there is no non-conducting or interfering lubricant that can be added to the female end of the power module?
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Trustee

You could try some medium to heavy silicone "grease". Assuming it is the outer shell that has the friction and not the pins themselves. Although I would rather replace the problem connector vs. have some dirt-attracting lubricant on it.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah I'm thing the same thing. Thanks for the advice! Will order the Kopul cable.
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio