Improving gross overload - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 19th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Improving gross overload

OK, one last try, this is getting to be a challenge. On a hunch I did the decllip, denoise, then applied Audition's "am radio" effect, which limits the bandwidth and applies some other effects; it seems to give a good tone and reduces the 'spatter' effects.
Attached Files
File Type: wav overload declip denoise amradio fltr.wav (1.59 MB, 103 views)
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #17
Major Player

Many thanks for all your effort Battle, and after listening to all of them, I think this one -
ovewrload-nodenoise.wav
is slightly more listenable with the background noise not too offensive as I feel it does seem to help by giving a bit of ambience, & sounds slightly less artificial. Either way they are an improvement on the extremely poor, original.

What did you use to achieve this and are these techniques available to me in S/F 9 or is there a freebie available ?

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #18
Trustee

Mr. Vaughan,

Thanks for posting all those variants! Very enlightening.

I find it interesting that the denoise function removes the "raspiness" of the declip function... I never would have guessed that. But, unfortunately, it introduces the robotic artifacts.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 11:04 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
What did you use to achieve this and are these techniques available to me in S/F 9 or is there a freebie available ?
RonC.
I used Adobe Audition CS6, with the techniques I outlined previously. If you have SF9, the clip restoration, audio restoration, denoise and normalize tools yielded this, on a quick-and- dirty try done on SF9.0. Effects were applied in the order given. Work with the adjustments and see what you get....best wishes! {PS - if you want to keep some ambience, use less noise reduction. I took the NR down to 0 in the pauses, to eliminate the noise from the voice. Overdone, as my early attempt shows, results in "robot voice." Fine for Stephen Hawking, not so good for your speaker!}
Attached Files
File Type: wav sf9 clip restore audio restore denoise normalize.wav (1.72 MB, 85 views)
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Ok, here's my take.

I did my best to preserve the tone, but overmodulation takes it's toll.
Attached Files
File Type: wav overload_corrected.wav (806.9 KB, 87 views)
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio