Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise. at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

HELP! Have just listened to the ceremony audio from a lav mic into a Yamaha C24 Pocket Recorder which i now realize had ALC (auto level control) and HPF turned ON during the recording. I can only assume that one of these settings are the culprit. It is absolutely wrecked with stuttering and i know its probably wishful thinking for some kind of audibility.

Vocaroo | Voice message

https://www.sendspace.com/file/4zfgtp

Desperately need this somewhat audible as my two other sources aren't good enough either. Is it completely ruined? Anyone good with IZOTOPE/Audacity know how i should best go about attempting to fix this mess? I'm desperate!

Thank you in advance!
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

I don't have much experience restoring audio and I"m sure there are people here that can do much better but some quick clean up gave me this result, the noise in the background can also be removed for a major part.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Vocaroo_s06UDW0gUwXD.wav (2.00 MB, 81 views)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I don't have much experience restoring audio and I"m sure there are people here that can do much better but some quick clean up gave me this result, the noise in the background can also be removed for a major part.
WOW Noa! What did you use?! I've been playing with this for the last two hours and yielded results close but not nearly as good (usually much more distortion to the audio). I ask because this noise is throughout pretty much the entire ceremony! Thank you very much!
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

I use Izotope rx2 to clean up messy tracks :) I used a declick preset with "short digital clicks" selected and as algoritm "mband, periodic clicks" selected. That did the trick. If you want you can send me the entire track, the restoration goes very fast. Or very likely some audio gurus can do a better job here, but if you want I can fix it for you if what you hear is good enough for you.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I use Izotope rx2 to clean up messy tracks :) I used a declick preset with "short digital clicks" selected and as algoritm "mband, periodic clicks" selected. That did the trick. If you want you can send me the entire track, the restoration goes very fast. Or very likely some audio gurus can do a better job here, but if you want I can fix it for you if what you hear is good enough for you.
That's odd, i ran that preset amongst many others, with custom tweaks etc to no avail. You have managed to make it very quiet and practically inaudible! I would be very grateful if you could take a look at the main clip!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/o0unpq
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

How does this sound? I increased the strength to 6 which appears to get rid of all clicks.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qfzgsm

I can output a higher bitrate mp3, it's 192kbs now, but not sure if that makes any difference.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
How does this sound? I increased the strength to 6 which appears to get rid of all clicks.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/qfzgsm

I can output a higher bitrate mp3, it's 192kbs now, but not sure if that makes any difference.
Noa, great job, huge improvement! I can still hear it slightly underneath (there's so much of it i wonder if it can actually be completely removed) but I'm hoping i can get rid of that with some denoising! Thanks again for this mate, life saver!
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 07:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Glad I could help :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 899
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
Desperately need this somewhat audible as my two other sources aren't good enough either.
Was wrapping up for the night when I though I would scan DVInfo for the latest gems when I stumbled on your post. I see Noa has done a good job for you but was tempted to have go myself. Couldn't resist... love a little challenge. That's how we learn! I quickly processed your full file but only concentrated on the spoken dialogue areas and clicking as far as the correction goes. What works for the dialogue isn't going to work for the hymns, singing etc. If you do want to use any of it feel free but I would suggest only use 'the spoken word' segments so to speak.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/kiwvc9

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Was wrapping up for the night when I though I would scan DVInfo for the latest gems when I stumbled on your post. I see Noa has done a good job for you but was tempted to have go myself. Couldn't resist... love a little challenge. That's how we learn! I quickly processed your full file but only concentrated on the spoken dialogue areas and clicking as far as the correction goes. What works for the dialogue isn't going to work for the hymns, singing etc. If you do want to use any of it feel free but I would suggest only use 'the spoken word' segments so to speak.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/kiwvc9

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Hi Christopher, thanks for the taking the time to work on that noise! I am quite happy with Noa's cut, and have been denoising it a little further, but thank you any way!
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Also forgot to pry, does anyone know what might have caused this god awful noise???
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Posts: 9,064
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

I use a c24 every week and haven't come across something like this, as it's not throughout the entire track it must be some interference from outside, like you get can get with a mobile phone.
Have you recorded again with it and does it still record those clicks?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:04 AM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 899
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Brindle View Post
Hi Christopher, thanks for the taking the time to work on that noise! I am quite happy with Noa's cut, and have been denoising it a little further, but thank you any way!
No problems. Glad you are sorted. Would be good to know what caused the issue in the first place.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 249
Re: Can anything be done with this ceremony audio? Stuttering noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I use a c24 every week and haven't come across something like this, as it's not throughout the entire track it must be some interference from outside, like you get can get with a mobile phone.
Have you recorded again with it and does it still record those clicks?
I haven't yet actually, ill start running some tests. Not sure about interference, thats something i didn't check on the day, perhaps a phone in the grooms pocket or something? They did talk about doing a 'selfie'. Hmm. I don't know, i feel like it must be something obvious!
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network