All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 31 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old November 24th, 2004, 02:31 AM   #451
Regular Crew

Setting Gain vs Gain vs Attenuation

I have a question about my Terratec DMX-6fire soundcard.

The soundcard gives me 3 different ways to adjust the level of the signal. I've got a mechanical gain knob on the break-out box, a software gain control on the soundcard's software control panel (0 to 18db), and an attenuation control on the software control panel (0 to -45db).

I know about avoiding clipping/distortion, but can anyone give me any specific advice on the optimum way to set up these three "overlapping" controls for the best signal?

Particularly...

- what are the software gain and attenuation doing differently? When would I want to use attenuation?

- how do the 2 gain controls play off against each other? Should I set the mechanical gain to just before the warning light and then do a similar thing with the software gain?

thanks
Old November 25th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #452

First, gain is adding volume to the mic/soundcard's initial output.
Attenuation is just the opposite, reducing output.
Using gain and attenuation in the same path can be a bad thing if things are already balanced and you're adding/subtracting at various points in the audio chain.

Regarding your soundcard, I'd set it at 0db on input and leave it there.
Use Attenuation where necessary.
http://www.vasst.com
Old November 28th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #453
Regular Crew

Wireless for gl-1

Hello everyone. Sorry if this is a reprint i did a search, so I am writing under the understanding that it isn't.

I am looking at wireless mic system for GL1, I have xlr adapter. I just don't know a lot about the wireless systems. On b&h they are listed as UHF and VHF, but i don't know the characteristics of either.... Thanks in advance for the help, (as always!)
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #454
Trustee

I 'm happy with the Sennheiser g2 (with the addl. mic plug). works good and sounds fine.
Bruce Yarock
Old December 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM   #455
Tourist

Pro Tools Le 6.4 & RAID 0

I'm planning on building/assembling a new computer in January for A/V production-- PT, Vegas, and Wavelab. Digidesing's compatability page says that they do not support RAID. I've done some crazy things with Pro Tools over the past decade that Digi hasn't "officially" supported. Has anyone had success running an LE system on a box that was reading/wriing to a RAID 0 setup? The mobo I'm considering uses the Promise SATA RAID chipset.

It won't be the end of the world if it can't be done... The main reason I want to move up to RAID is for video editing speed and girth-- lol. e.g. 2 X Maxtor 300GB w/16MB cache. Yes, it's true, I have "hard drive" envy...

My plans include:
AMD 64 3500
Gigabyte CPU cooler/heat sink
2GB DDR400 RAM
Seagate 120GB 8MB cache (boot drive)
Maxtor 300GB X 2 RAID 0
Video Card I danooo something w/256MB and dual DVI's...
DVD_R (haven't read up on what's new and cool yet...)

Nothing is firm yet. I'm planning on doing this next month.

Thanks for the input!
Old December 3rd, 2004, 07:38 PM   #456
Inner Circle

If you manually juggle files, large media files spread out over 2 drives (non-RAIDed) is actually faster than RAID.

Not that hard drive speed matters too much... I've tested things out and generally hard drive speed no difference on performance.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=18784

For audio, your hard drives will really only be a problem if you can't play back enough tracks at once, or if you are having problems capturing many tracks at once. Even if you do, spreading tracks out over two drives (if possible) would be faster/better than RAID.

2- This is kind of off topic, but if the primary use of your machine is video editing then you might want to consider getting a Pentium processor as they are generally faster. AMD64 processors are much faster at audio (like 50%?), but video will probably require more resources than audio does.

If you post or look through the video forums here you can get more info on building a new machine.

You can also check out silentpcreview.com for lots of information about building a quiet PC, if noise is important. A quiet configuration would run something like the following:
3700BQE (see the article discussion for it, goes over how to do hard drive decoupling)
quietest PSU (should be latest revision seasonic super tornado)
hard drives - Samsung, Seagate, Hitachi (see reviews / recommended hard drives list)
processor- AMD 64, Canterwood-core Pentium or Prescott-core Pentium (in that order, AMD64 being quietest)
heatsink - zalman 7000alcu or Thermalright XP-120.
passively cooled video card

3- The digidesign user's conference has lots of great information on building your own machine.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...fpart=1#360675
(The link will take you to the Allenstein thread... which covers building a PC for Pro Tools LE use.)
Old December 9th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #457
Regular Crew

PeachTek reviews?

Hi:

Searching through the messages here I discovered a couple of references to the PeachTek Campressor, but I didn't see any links to reviews or any advice regarding one. Has anyone used one of these units and can offer their opinions on it?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Ben
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:12 PM   #458
New Boot

battery for Senn. MKE 300

are there any indicators (before it is too late) on when it is time to change the battery on this mic?

I had some popping on a wedding with this mic and didn't think until afterwards that the cause could be the battery.

Thanks, Jay
Old December 10th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #459
Trustee

There is an LED indicator, but how to read them seems to be different on every piece of gear. Can't help you beyond that.
Old December 12th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #460
Regular Crew

XLR Adapters - 3 Inputs?

Hey There. I was wondering about those 3-channel XLR Adapters. Almost all of them are 2-input adapters, and Im wondering if I get a 3-Input adapter for my GL2 \ VX2100, would there be some audio compromise \ drawbacks? I know that with the Panasonic ENG Cams that we use at the station, they only allow for 2-inputs becuase of stereo \ mono issues. Thanks for your help!
Old December 12th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #461
Regular Crew

PS>

Is this a good idea for making 2 ports into 3:

http://www.audiolines.com/cgi-bin/dj.cgi?detail=yes&template=&exact_match=yes&product=yxlrm-2xlrf

Scenario:

Mic 1 & 2: On The Y-Ends of the XLR Splitter. 2 Commentators both with Shure VP64A's.

Mic 3: The Second Unused port on my adapter. With some sort of Omni mic (Either the ATM10a or ATM31a)

Before I go out and buy all of this stuff I just wanna make sure the results will be up to par. Thanks so much!
Old December 13th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #462

HDV and audio

Anyone here made the jump to HDV? Just curious how you're finding the MPEG audio. I've done my own tests with both the Z1 and the FX1, I'd like to hear feedback from others.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 13th, 2004, 06:35 PM   #463
Major Player

Rode K2 - Now what

Jumped in big (well, big cost for me) and ordered a K2 based on reviews and max spl. I'll be using it to record voice overs mostly in documentary type stuff.

Notice most discussions on it also included that a mic Preamp was used. I'm hoping the output from it's power supply will be all that's needed to feed into my DSR 500. I do have a Beheringer Shark that includes a pre and a Shure 267 but suspect they are both way under kill for that mic.

Anyone have any experience with this mic in a similar situation?

If I do need the pre, I'm looking at building the Seventh Circle Audio J99. Any recommedations pro/con on it?

Thanks!
Old December 13th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #464
Inner Circle

Re: Rode K2 - Now what

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Wilson : Jumped in big (well, big cost for me) and ordered a K2 based on reviews and max spl. I'll be using it to record voice overs mostly in documentary type stuff.

Notice most discussions on it also included that a mic Preamp was used. I'm hoping the output from it's power supply will be all that's needed to feed into my DSR 500. I do have a Beheringer Shark that includes a pre and a Shure 267 but suspect they are both way under kill for that mic.

Anyone have any experience with this mic in a similar situation?

If I do need the pre, I'm looking at building the Seventh Circle Audio J99. Any recommedations pro/con on it?

Thanks! -->>>

You are good to go. Your camera already has a mic preamp. Now, add a nice limiter to catch the inevitable peaks, and you have a nice rig. The one in the SOUND DEVICES MIXPre. It's a very nice sounding 2 channel mixer with very nice sounding limiter. With it, you're really ready and every mic you plug into it will sound better than if plugged into your camera.

The Shark..not so much..yawn.

Find out WHY a good mixer is your friend. It's in my Audio Bootcamp Field Guide.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #465
New Boot

Wireless mic for outdoors?

I’m looking for a wireless Lav mic to be used almost exclusively outdoors, mainly in wilderness situations, and am looking for advice on which one to choose. After reading through numerous posts I’ve been looking at the Sennheiser g2 wireless at B + H. They list 20 different models/combos at varying prices. I'm learning as I go and don't have an audio background. Any help would be appreciated. Also, is it OK to use these in wet and snowy weather? I’m using a gl2 w/a beachtek xlr adapter.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio