All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old July 31st, 2004, 12:00 AM   #376
Major Player

Quick Advice sought

hey guys

Just got a UHF wireless kit tonight to film a wedding tomorrow. I've been practising with it for the past hour (my poor kid brother was the bride). THe kit is a simple receiver to the 1/8inch jack. No XLR's etc... I have basically 2 questions

1) I own a GL2 which i'm using with this, the audio seems to be blown out a bit.. i.e when talking, the levels go red. And i've even played with the audio adjustments on the trans and receiver. Is there any way to adjust the audio levels within the camera, short of turning on the ATT?

2) I do wish to record the wireless input on a single track and then using the camera's onboard mic to capture ambient sound. Would that be possible on the GL2? and how?

I know these questions have probably been answered in some sort of capacity or the other, and i've tried searching but haven't been able to find anything. Anyone have any suggestions, would greatly appreciate it. Cheers!

Vishal
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:41 AM   #377

Sounds like you need to set the attenuator. 3.5 mm connections are common, and work fine.
Regarding using mic for one channel and built in for other, there is no safe way to do this. You can insert the channel half way and if the connector is "just so" you can get audio from both, but no way is it safe or reliable.
Good luck with the event!
http://www.vasst.com
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:10 PM   #378
Regular Crew

laptop or not

I'm having issues on trying to get the right equipment to record audio for my film projects. So this leads to my question, can I use a laptap(powerbook) with logic or protool to record satisfactory audio? The only thing I figured would hurt my audio would be that I would have to rig some kind of XLR adapter or something. Any insight? and what is the be the Best recorder out there for overall audio recording. I need something for int/ext/field shoots(portability is key).
Old August 1st, 2004, 01:18 AM   #379
Trustee

There's a current discussion going on next door

At the top of the page click on search. Type in power book and limit the search to the "Now Hear This" forum. There's a bunch.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 06:27 PM   #380
Regular Crew

Very Impressed with Sennheiser Evolution G2

This weekend, I shot a wedding in the sprawling metropolis of Ophir, Utah (DSE is probably the only other person on the board who knows where that is). One of the guys on my crew brought along his new Sennheiser Evolution G2 wireless system. We used his system to mic the judge, and used my Samson UM32 system on the groom.

The difference in quality between the two systems was absolutely amazing! There was an acceptable amount of electronic noise on the Samson system, and I got reasonably good audio. The G2, however, was crystal clear. There was no distortion, no interference, and no noise.

I got on the phone this morning and ordered a system. They're currently backordered, but I wanted to pass along my results with the G2. If you're in the market for a new wireless system under $500, this is definitely the one to get.

Rick
Old August 10th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #381
Inner Circle

Simple question about Headphone Volume

When using headphones, to achieve the best results, should the volume on the headphones be as loud as it can be, or should it be at like a 7 out of 10. I've not done enough field testing to really know, so thanks in advance for the advice.

P.s. I'm the proud father of a Canon Gl2

This is my setup

http://www.droptodesign.com/test/camera
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #382
New Boot

I wouldn´t turn up the headphones all the way up. Even if they sound too soft, a sudden loud noise (surprise cymbal crash, a dirty connector) could give you an instant headache.

Someone once told me that 85 dB was the best volume for monitoring. For me, I keep it between 5 and 7 out of 10.

Hope that helps!
Old August 11th, 2004, 12:06 AM   #383
Skyonic New York

ultimate wireless batteries

yesterday someone asked me what batteries i use for my 100 evo...well a few years back i got stuck with sanyo batteries that i have never heard of, i decided to put them to the test loaded them into my evo and let them run

run they did about a little less then 6 hours before the light started flashing...since then i dumped the expensive duracell and engerbunnies in favor of these amazing little finds

i thought it was good advice so i decided to pass it on, you can find them here, but i found them at a local store for 2 bucks

http://www.tagaccessories.com/singleproduct.asp?search=49026
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:46 PM   #384
Major Player

thats much better
http://data.energizer.com/batteryinfo/application_manuals/9v_lithium.htm
for long day shoot it holds about 3 times more then regular alcalain
dont know wher do you shop your bateteries but duracel and energizer are about 1.5$ if you are buying large number
there is a good and relible place to ask

http://atscomms.com/Batteries/batteries.html
ask for marty or just shout on this board :-)
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #385
New Boot

Reviews of DXA-8 and Sony VX2000?

I have tried to increase my knowledge about miking, preamps, limiters, and the limitations of the Sony audio components on their VX2000 cameras.

I am a serious amateur and am debating between purchasing the DXA-8 unit mic versus considering a Mix-pre or MM-1 unit from Sound design. The latter, possibly with a mod of the camera, by Greg Winters, has been recommended.

I think the DXA-8 would be a simpler choice for the present as it is designed to fit right under the camera and the price is more in line with my budget.

Can those of you that are using the DXA-8 with a Sony system comment on whether there are significant noise issues and whether these make the setup suboptimal?

I will plan to get the hypercardioid Oktava MC-012 mike as it appears to be well recommended for general purposes.

- Thanks so much...This is a very well-informed group of enthusiasts and professionals,

Marc Safran
Syracuse, NY
Old August 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #386
Major Player

That Cheezy, Classic, Slow-Motion Music?

Does any one know where I could find that classic slow motion music? I don't know what its called, and I can't sing it for you because this is the internet (too bad for you), so instead I will try to describe it.

So this song plays in comical movies when there is a big important slow motion scene (such as the end of a race or when someone is diving to stop a falling object). I have been looking for it for some years now and never found it.

If anyone knows which song I am describing or where to find it, any help is much appriciated. Thanks!
Old August 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #387
Air China Pilot

Chariots of Fire?

I'd describe it to you but this being the Internet and all... umm...

EDIT: Here we go:
http://songs.allofmp3.com/mcatalog.s...p=1760&album=2
Old August 17th, 2004, 05:01 AM   #388
New Boot

Audix UEM81S...anyone work with this mic?

I'm about to buy the Audix UEM81s shotgun...mic. I wanted to go with a Sennheiser, however mics are terribly expensive in South Korea. I have a couple shots coming up and want to hear what people are saying about this mic or any suggestions for a good supercardioid shotgun.

Tony
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:12 PM   #389
Trustee

University of Michigan Audio Engineer Job Posting

Hi List,

our audio guy is leaving for San Fran. The job is now posted on The U. of Michigan website: www.umich.edu

Do a search for jobs or employment. We're looking for a person with a great
attitude, experience in classical and jazz recording, wiring, music production,
protools, Mac based computing systems, video, and all the other dozens of
skill sets that engineers have to know to do a good job.

Pay is based upon experience, but good bennies.

Employment is scheduled to begin around Sept. or Oct. '04.
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:29 PM   #390
Major Player

For experience sake...MACKIE

I have a 12 channel\2 bus, a 16 channel\4 bus and a 32 channel\8 bus. EXCELLENT - Go MACKIE
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio