All Things Audio -- topics from 2002 thru 2004 - Page 32 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2004, 10:02 PM   #466
Regular Crew

Hi Spot

Got my FX1E a week ago. I honestly can't tell the difference between MPEG2 audio and DV PCM audio. I'm completely happy with the quality!

Cheers
Tim
Old December 17th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #467
Major Player

shotgun + surrounding

Probably somone else already asked about this, but I couldn't find nothing with "Search".

Here it is:
I'm looking for a microphone that (like the canon DM50) can be selected from wide (stereo) to narow (mono). I had that on my old VHS Panasonic and I miss it (for event video).
I have a Canon XM2 (GL2) and I'm thinking to buy the DM50 for this particular feature.
Is there something better then the DM50 with the 3 positions switch?

Thanks!
Old December 17th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #468
Trustee

I have no experience with the DM50. I also don't have any experience with the Sony ECM-MS957 - Stereo Condenser Microphone, but I know it can be switched from wide stereo to narrow stereo (which is still very wide compared to a better mono directional mic like an Audio-Technica AT897).
Old December 18th, 2004, 11:13 PM   #469
Regular Crew

Sennheiser Evolution 100 Gen 2?

Has anyone compared the Gen 2 Sennheiser wireless to the Gen 1? Many of the folk I know had a strong preference for Audio Technica in the $500 to $600 price range but that was comparing it to the generation 1 wireless. I like my current Sennheiser stuff and prefer to stick to a brand I know if their newer gen 2 performs better than gen 1.

Greg
Old December 19th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #470
Regular Crew

Live Music

Hey everyone...
I've had mixed audio results when shooting live music. I generally use an XL-1 with an AT-835b - monitor the sound through headphones/using the limited EQ on the back of the XL-1. I've gotten some decent live sound and some real crappy stuff.
For those of you out there that do a lot of concerts, what do you do? Do you come off the sound board into a separate recorder and just use camera sound to get ambient crowd noise, etc? Is using a shotgun style mic too narrow of a pickup pattern? Would something like an SM-58 be better for getting overall sound?
Is it better to have a field mixer? I tried using a Tascam 4 track as a mixer once... (wanted to use its EQ)- yeah, that didn't work too well... lots of buzzing...
Anyways, I'm kind of a sound newbie (just picked up a copy of "Audio for film and video production" - but thought I'd ask the collective experience here... Thanks
CMV
Old December 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #471
Regular Crew

apologize if I'm repeating a thread.... had scanned a few on these pages to see if my "issue" was already discussed....
didn't notice the one a few rungs below......

CMV
Old December 19th, 2004, 09:47 PM   #472
Major Player

Arrested Development... how 'bout that audio?

Hey gang... since our group is ever growing... and the now infamous Charles Papert actually has experience on this show I'm hoping somebody may have a handle on how they do the audio for it?

I remember a couple threads about this show last year and I just never watched it. I wanted to (just because of CP) but it just seemed like I always missed it. Well I've been watching it this season and in every show there's a couple of laugh-out-loud moments guaranteed. I'm smiling through the whole show at the very least.

Well tonight as I watched it I couldn't shake the feeling that they were doing it all location sound. Could the boom op be getting that much isolation? Is it lavs? Or is the loose, handheld style just making me THINK it's location sound and it's really a lot of ADR?
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #473
Major Player

mixing 5.1 audio for premiere pro

Hi-

I'll be editing a project on Premiere Pro on a windows based computer - and want to end up with 5.1 audio.

Will I need an additional audio mixing program to do this? Is there one that works well with Premiere?

And how are the channels handled when the finished project is output'd to tape ?

Does the mixing program combine the 5.1 tracks and a mixed down stereo pair for broadcast? And will I have control over the stereo mixdown???

Thanks for your help!

(great website!)
Old December 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #474

For audio mixing in the Adobe world, you'll want Adobe Audition.
Formerly Cool Edit Pro, this is a pretty good audio tool to mix with, and manages 5.1 just fine. You'll be able to output all sorts of mixes from this application.
You can mix surround directly in Premiere, too, although I'm not a fan of how it all works. Unfortunately, Adobe just hasn't got the elegant surround mixing tools that Vegas, Nuendo, and ProTools have offered. Not yet, anyway.
http://www.vasst.com
Old December 20th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #475
New Boot

DAT Question

Can DAT recorders be plugged into a computer so I can transfer my audio into an NLE (to synch with my FILM, transferred to VIDEO)?

Thank you in advance!
Shane
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #476
Trustee

The short answer is yes, the long answer is probably not in the way you're thinking.
DAT audio is recorded and played back in real time. The material doesn't exist as "files" that can be quickly transfered.
The tape must be played into the computer using either an analog or a digital audio path. How to do this depends on your DAT deck and the audio hardware and software your computer has.
Old December 21st, 2004, 08:29 AM   #477
New Boot

Beachtek DXA2 vs XLR to mini adpt

I bought an XLR to mini adapter for my AT897........what will the DXA2 give that the adpt won't??

Also, what are the practical differences in the Beachtek DXA2 and DXA2S??

Thanks.
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:31 AM   #478
Trustee

The BeachTek DXA-2 will give you a physical connection to the camera, a single XLR input, an Aux input, rotary attenuation controls if your mic or Aux has a hot output, Mono/Stereo switch, and a two-position grounding switch to help eliminate hum.
The "S" model give you all that and a second XLR input. The S is just like the other normal models, only in a smaller package.
Old December 21st, 2004, 10:40 PM   #479
Wrangler

Matt:

My one day on the show was sort of a fluke, but one never knows, I might show up there again. Probably not since the DP's have changed since first season.

I don't remember for sure, but I think the show was traditional miked with boompoles and the odd wireless.
Old December 30th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #480
Regular Crew

iPod Recording Hack, Higher quality

Haven't tried this, but saw it and thought some people might be interested in it. You can change the audio quality of iPod recording from 8 kHz to as high as 96 kHz.

http://ipod.hackaday.com/entry/1234000147025394/
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio