DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Good mic with minijack for an FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/58733-good-mic-minijack-fx1.html)

Rafael Lopes January 20th, 2006 08:16 AM

Good mic with minijack for an FX1

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into a good/afordable mic for my FX1. I don't want to buy a beachtek, so I guess I'll have to go with one that has a minijack to connect directly to the FX1 input. I was going to buy the Rode Videomic, but I read some people say it picks up noise from the camera and I can't have that. Any suggestions without having to spend a fortune?

Brett Whited January 20th, 2006 08:34 AM

I think you are going to get some sort of noise if the mic is attached to the camera. If you get a Rode Videomic, it can be used with a boompole which is really cool. I have one, and a boompole, but I've yet to really test it out. I like the quality of the mic. I also have an AT822 which is a nice stereo mic that has a mini jack. It runs off of battery power.... Hope that helps out?

Matt Vanecek January 20th, 2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rafael Lopes
Any suggestions without having to spend a fortune?

What type of application is this for? Do you need an on-camera mic, or something detached? I have a nice cardioid stereo mic, runs on batteries, that has XLR-to-mini adapter. It works pretty well, haven't really noticed noise (but then, most of my shots are quite steadily noisy. Hmm, have to try the mic in a quiet room over a long XLR cable....). I don't remember make/model off-hand, but I can check when I get home and post, if you like.

Edit.....
Ok, I have a Nady CM-2S, for wired. Works very nicely for me. Also have the Azden 200UPR receiver with a 10HT and 10BT (got the set just recently). Still lusting over the Beachtek stuff, but I think what I have will suffice for now.

ciao,
Matt

Rafael Lopes January 22nd, 2006 04:35 AM

Thanks guys. I really would like to invest in a better mic, but between the Fx1 with all the accesories and a dual core amd...the isn't much of a budget for sound. I mainly work with comercials and music videos, but I really miss doing personal narrative projects (I also have a personal documentary planned) and it would be cool if I could record at least part of the dialogs oncamera (decentely). I guess the XLR to minijack adapter could be a good solution to get access to a better mic.

Daniel Rudd January 22nd, 2006 08:45 AM

B&H sells cables that go from an xlr (at the mic end) to an 8th inch for your camera. It's made just for this purpose so it handles impedence (i don't know what this is really) correctly.

I have an fx1. I'm very pleased with the sound of the onboard stereo mic. I wouldn't use it for one of my high end promo videos, but for the right kind of documentary I wouldn't hesitate.

Daniel